Imamadman
Topic Author

Drowning

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 10:50

Hello,

I was hoping to get some clarification on drowning and how its used within the game. This is all the rules say about DROWNING: 

"All player characters are assumed to know how to swim. For the purposes of movement, swimming counts as crawling. If, by choice or not, you are underwater, you need to make a STAMINA roll every Round. This roll is not an action and is made during your turn before you perform your actions. If you fail, you suffer one point of damage. If you are Broken when drowning, you must make a Death Roll each Turn, until you die or someone saves you with a MEDICAL AID roll."

Surely it should be you suffer one point of damage every round after a failed STAMINA roll until you die or are saved with a MEDICAL AID roll? Correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way to take a breath underwater once you've already started drowning. The rules make it sound like you have to roll for STAMINA every subsequent round to decide if you're still drowning. 

Fenhorn

Re: Drowning

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 11:14

If you are drowning and become broken, you are broken and must make death roll(s). While drowning, you don't recover health. You need to "remove" the drowning condition first (get out of the water) for that. Also, a character can't perform Medical Aid (CPR in this case) underwater on a character that is still drowning, so the drowning character must be taken up to land first.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Imamadman
Topic Author

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 11:41

If you are drowning and become broken, you are broken and must make death roll(s). While drowning, you don't recover health. You need to "remove" the drowning condition first (get out of the water) for that. Also, a character can't perform Medical Aid (CPR in this case) underwater on a character that is still drowning, so the drowning character must be taken up to land first.
All very good, but that still doesn't clarify whether you take continuous damage after the failed STAMINA roll or if you roll again at the start of each round as the rules currently seem to suggest. Thematically the latter doesn't seem to make sense as you shouldn't be able to pass a STAMINA roll once you have started drowning. It should be continuous damage once you fail a STAMINA roll until you resurface, or in the case of being Broken receive a passed medical aid roll. I feel the drowning rules as they appear lack clarity. 

lupex

Wed 04 Dec 2019, 11:50

Maybe it's about trying to hold onto any breath you can. Failing the initial stamina check means you have let some air out, additional stamina checks is to ensure you don't let any more air out.

Jizmack

Sat 07 Dec 2019, 20:51

I would roll for STAMINA every subsequent round to see if you take a point of damage.
If you are assumed to know how to swim and each Round is ~6 seconds, then you should easily be able to hold your breath for several Rounds.
With that in mind, an average person should be able to survive underwater (not become Broken) for up to 10 Rounds (1 minute).

Jonbertsch

Tue 14 Jan 2020, 18:09

The rules state that you DO make a stamina check at the start of every turn while underwater/drowning and that a failed roll results in one point of damage, until broken, then death rolls. You cannot assume that everyone can hold their breath for the same amount of time either. Depending on the circumstances that got you in the water in the first place you are probably not in a great position anyway, your gear and clothing are weighing you down, that pulse rifle slung over your shoulder is heavy, etc. Now if a player willingly planned on going for a swim, and there was nothing too dangerous going on around them then I would as GM simply let them do what they need to get done without needing to roll.