Riggswolfe

Re: NOSTROMO – the Accurate Deck Plans (IMO, anyway...)

Sun 22 Dec 2019, 09:22

I need to rewatch the movie I think because I don't remember Ripley going down the ladder on the way to see Kane
It's in the extended version; right before she gets slapped by Lambert.
This is probably why I didn't remember the ladder. I've seen the extended version and like the little bits it adds in but I don't consider it the "true" Alien and tend to watch the theatrical cut when I rewatch Alien. Interestingly, Ridley Scott says the theatrical cut is his true intended version of the film and refers to the extended version as an alternate cut instead of a director's cut.

S.M

Sun 22 Dec 2019, 10:29

Does the Sullaco have similar problems fitting interior to exterior?
No.  But we don't seen much of the Sulaco internally.  Just the main hangar and ready room along with the hypersleep vault/ mess hall.

Vader
Topic Author

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 21:50

We're discussing the vessel the outline of which can be seen in the plans in the first post.

I doubt that's the refinery...
I am aware of what is being discussed. And you are correct that the deck plans at the beginning of the thread are not the refinery.
The massive size of the ship is due to a mineral refinery (I apologize for calling it an oil refinery) and 20 billion tons of ore, which dwarfs the Nostromo itself. I just have never heard someone using such leviathan adjectives to describe the tug itself.

Continue pontificating.
Don't worry, I will.

But are you really? Aware, I mean -- and I mean it as a serious question; I'm not being facetious. Because the leviathan adjectives that you quoted were actually used in reference to the Nostromo by itself, not including the refinery. I know this for an incontrovertible fact, because it was I myself who used them -- you were quoting me.

As for the relevance of such adjectives -- if you check further back to the first post on page 3 of this thread, you'll find some images from the production that provide some clues to the implied size of the vessel. That discussion continues on page 4.

For instance, extrapolate the 12m wide shuttle in the inverted "trench" between the main hull and the port nacelle, and you find that the ship could be up to half a kilometre in beam! This is obviously unreasonable, and just exemplifies the scale mismatch between the different models and detail sets -- however, it does show that Sir Ridley's intent was to imply a ship of truly stupendous proportions.
Then the refinery is orders of magnitude bigger than that.

If you read my posts on this thread from the beginning, you'll find some of my reasoning behind why a simple "tugboat" -- which I absolutely agree is precisely what the Nostromo is -- could, and should, be this gigantic size.
Last edited by Vader on Sat 04 Jan 2020, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

Vader
Topic Author

Wed 01 Jan 2020, 21:51

I need to rewatch the movie I think because I don't remember Ripley going down the ladder on the way to see Kane
It's in the extended version; right before she gets slapped by Lambert.
This is probably why I didn't remember the ladder. I've seen the extended version and like the little bits it adds in but I don't consider it the "true" Alien and tend to watch the theatrical cut when I rewatch Alien. Interestingly, Ridley Scott says the theatrical cut is his true intended version of the film and refers to the extended version as an alternate cut instead of a director's cut.
I want the deck plans to be equally applicable to both versions of the film. Reason why you'll also find a reference to "where the Alien cocoons Dallas and Brett" in the plans.

And since the two versions do not really contradict one another when it comes to their implications of Nostromo's layout, this should be both reasonable, and feasible.
Before you use the word "XENOMORPH" again, you should read this article through:

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/aliens-throwaway-line-confusion

KastorKrieg

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 12:30

The images unfortunately timed out on whatever service they were hosted. Is there any chance anyone could repost please?

FenGiddel

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 17:37

Maybe it is a fluke? They're working for me.

Fenhorn

Sun 28 Nov 2021, 17:43

It could be a web browser thing. The don't for me in chrome or edge, but they do in ff, or it could be an add-on.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore