The1TrueFredrix

Re: Making Kids... KIDS...

Mon 10 Feb 2020, 11:15

You are right, in most (all) YZE games attribute can not be increased after generation. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Fumarole

Mon 10 Feb 2020, 21:59

I would think having a kid as a secret synthetic would be problematic in a campaign since their lack of aging is more apparent than in adults. I suppose for short missions it could work, though.

Mitsu-Deere Dealer

Tue 11 Feb 2020, 02:34

You're probably right that over several years that it would be noticeable. But we've all seen kids that stay relatively unchanged for three or 4 years. Eventually the synthetics owners would probably want to recover, reprogram, and redeploy it to another colony. Assuming I don't decide to add major time jumps into the story it shouldn't be too much of an issue considering the mortality and morbidity in an Aliens game.

The1TrueFredrix

Tue 11 Feb 2020, 08:58

Obviously someone who doesn’t have kids  :D but, even though in normal conditions it would take only a few months to spot a child is not growing, I do think the suspended animation in space travel might confuse people enough that they remain ignorant for longer. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Mitsu-Deere Dealer

Fri 14 Feb 2020, 08:11

Oh, I've got 3. And as far as kids changing, they certainly do. But its far less noticeable when you're talking about someone else's kid that you see every couple weeks or couple of months. You certainly see change over years, but don't notice it all the time.

In my campaign the idea is they aren't constantly around them...only during some adventures do they turn up. Again, think Huckelberry Finn...they aren't around all the time...just when it suits the story.

The1TrueFredrix

Fri 14 Feb 2020, 18:19

I can’t agree. While living my my kids I sometimes fail to realise how they grow, friends who see them every couple of months or so point out how they have changed almost every time :)

Still I am not trying to win an argument on child development here. Sorry I assumed you were not a parent. Have fun at your table.

ILKAIN

Thu 27 Feb 2020, 20:37

After all, today it is widely accepted that 14-16 year-olds are far more competent to decide matters pertaining to how the world should be run than its adult leaders. Boils down to pretty much the same thing, in my mind.
I don't know where you live where that is the case.
Sweden. Here, we've got to learn that individuals like our own Greta Thunberg (age 16), Turkey's Deniz Çevikus (age 11), and their peers, are far superior to mere adults in dictating the correct policies for the world.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  oh man... I love when I see people with no real world experience try to tell us kids are better than adults at running stuff.  I remember when I had all the answers too!

ILKAIN

Thu 27 Feb 2020, 20:41

I think they are very good at championing particular causes and bringing the debate around to where it needs to be. But ultimately many of these taut ideals that don't fly in the face of what is the complexity of the world. But this be just opinions. I for one see a world on fire if we let people who are so idealistic run the world.
I feel much the same. Most persons in the under 21 crowd have no practical ability to plan ahead adequately to avoid life issues, let alone having to balance the needs of the many vs the wants of the many, nor ability to resist the temptations of both fame and fortune that corrupt even most adult leaders.
Brain development doesn't stop until mid 30s. In adolescence the parts that are associated with decision making are woefully underdevloped. As such teens are very susceptible to manipulation and propaganda. They tend to lack the ability to weigh all information and veiwpoints, relying instead on emotional reasoning to make decisions. This is also why they're impulsive.
In terms of the game if you allow kid characters make sure the player does their best to annoy the other characters at the right moments!
more like 25
https://tonusjournal.com/brain-health-q ... eveloping/

Konungr

Sat 29 Feb 2020, 10:50

Anyone who thinks kids are good decision makers should think back 10 years ago in their own life to that thing they were super proud of at the time that they now realize they were being a total idiot. Remember that great drawing you did? Dig it out and look at it. You were an idiot. 10 years from now you are going to look at what you are doing now and realize you were being an idiot now. A 16-18 year old hasn't even been making decisions long enough to realize how big of an idiot they are being when making decisions. If you can't think of any dumb thing you did/thought 10 years ago then I weep for how poor your personal development over a decade has been. You should be constantly learning and growing. Someone who has never developed ANY of that shouldn't be anywhere near making policy.

EzMad

Mon 02 Mar 2020, 03:03

I feel much the same. Most persons in the under 21 crowd have no practical ability to plan ahead adequately to avoid life issues, let alone having to balance the needs of the many vs the wants of the many, nor ability to resist the temptations of both fame and fortune that corrupt even most adult leaders.
Brain development doesn't stop until mid 30s. In adolescence the parts that are associated with decision making are woefully underdevloped. As such teens are very susceptible to manipulation and propaganda. They tend to lack the ability to weigh all information and veiwpoints, relying instead on emotional reasoning to make decisions. This is also why they're impulsive.
In terms of the game if you allow kid characters make sure the player does their best to annoy the other characters at the right moments!
more like 25
https://tonusjournal.com/brain-health-q ... eveloping/
I'm a cognitive psychologist, my primary field of research is spatial cognition, in particular simulation and training. The info in the link you gave is based on old information.