FiendishlyInventive

Re: Psychics in Alien?

Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:44

I don't know how to feel about that. Just, nah- don't like that AR direction with a serious tone.
A survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality...

Diego

Sun 17 Nov 2019, 01:18

No one liked AR.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 3 now up

Gaddeborg

Sun 17 Nov 2019, 20:55

Haha, I actually like AR. Different tone of course, but still good. 

But I did not interpret it as psionic abilities giving Ripley the ability to feel the queen, but more like pheromones like ants and bees.

aramis

Tue 19 Nov 2019, 07:06

I also liked A:R, but it's definitely a different approach to the whole setting. Still jump-scare action horror, still 80s style low cybernetic Cyberpunk.
But I did not interpret it as psionic abilities giving Ripley the ability to feel the queen, but more like pheromones like ants and bees.
I can't see pheromones coordinating the XX121s in ALIENS with the level seen; they don't work fast enough.

Natural radio, perhaps? They do bioprocess silicon, and so might also be able to bioprint circuitry. 

Or ultrasound. Or elephant-like infrasound.

Me? I'll stick with telempathy. (a limited form of telepathy.)
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

The1TrueFredrix

Tue 19 Nov 2019, 08:49

No idea and no opinion if there are or should be psychic abilities in the Alien universe, but the easiest way to implement them would be as a Talent, with perhaps a cost-per-use of a stress die
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Diego

Tue 19 Nov 2019, 11:01

I also liked A:R, but it's definitely a different approach to the whole setting. Still jump-scare action horror, still 80s style low cybernetic Cyberpunk.
I can't see pheromones coordinating the XX121s in ALIENS with the level seen; they don't work fast enough.

Natural radio, perhaps? They do bioprocess silicon, and so might also be able to bioprint circuitry. 

Or ultrasound. Or elephant-like infrasound.

Me? I'll stick with telempathy. (a limited form of telepathy.)
It is the way dark horse went in some of their comic lines.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 3 now up
GZIP: Off