Riggswolfe

Psychics in Alien?

Fri 15 Nov 2019, 05:53

I don't remember anything like this in the movies but in two of the novels so far I've come across psychics (Ok, one confirmed and I think maybe canon and one just a very strong hint). I've also come across various mentions that the Queen may or may not be telepathic with her hive. 

So, I wonder if it might be interesting to add this into the RPG. I don't know if any of the other Year Zero games have psychics in them. I'd have to go back to read but if they did I could just "lift" that part of the system out and tweak it for Alien maybe.

Byrax

Re: Psychics in Alien?

Fri 15 Nov 2019, 06:14

Mutant YZ has rules for psychics. Hotel Imperator also has a psychic adversary.

Riggswolfe

Fri 15 Nov 2019, 08:42

I didn't remember Mutant Year Zero having rules for psychics though I assume it's one of the mutations you can get.

Deep_Impact

Fri 15 Nov 2019, 09:58

Coriolis knows psychics as well. Mainly the character class "fugitive" is able to use the mystic forces. But I don´t know if the concept of balancing good and evil with the darkness points fits the Alien Universe.

[AvPG]CorporalHicks

Fri 15 Nov 2019, 10:35

Who are you thinking of in regards to psychics? We had an empath in Sea of Sorrows, and the Queen was capable of influencing dreams in the old EU, but I can't recall any straight psychics. 

Diego

Fri 15 Nov 2019, 11:09

Who are you thinking of in regards to psychics? We had an empath in Sea of Sorrows, and the Queen was capable of influencing dreams in the old EU, but I can't recall any straight psychics. 
Empath is just a weak psychic if the main criteria is sensing thought.

In the alien franchise that's usually as far as it goes. In the EU labyrinth made mention to the alien been psychically sensitive with strong enough empathy been able to mildly disorientate them.

aramis

Fri 15 Nov 2019, 13:11

Alien Resurrection gives strong implications of psionic abilities from the hybridizing. 

Depending upon the take one takes to A:R,, ripley 8 mighht simply have...
  •  cellular memory (assumed in Dune, where accessing it is a psionic ability)
  • limited post-cognition (a psionic ability)
  • programming while being cloned
Likewise, she senses the aliens and  their motivations... also likely psionic.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Riggswolfe

Sat 16 Nov 2019, 09:36

Empathy is psychic ability.  (Here defined as literally sensing people's feelings as opposed to empathy as understanding how someone feels) The Queen's also seem to be able to communicate, in a sense, with people in their dreams as you mentioned. I believe that the character in Sea of Sorrows also "saw" things the aliens were doing. Finally, in Alien: Prototype which just came out a character who dies at the hands of the alien had had recurring dreams of an attack by a being very much like the alien. This could be seen as a form of precognition. 

We haven't seen any abilities affecting matter such as telekinesis but we have seen, potentially empathy, telepathy (by the Queens) and precognition.

Edit: Also, the character in Sea of Sorrows seems to have some precognition at times, or at least can sense when the aliens are about to attack.

FiendishlyInventive

Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:28

I alwat thought the idea of it in the Alien Universe was ridiculous, it doesn't fit.
A survivor, unclouded by conscience, remorse or delusions of morality...

Diego

Sat 16 Nov 2019, 12:35

Empathy is psychic ability.  (Here defined as literally sensing people's feelings as opposed to empathy as understanding how someone feels) The Queen's also seem to be able to communicate, in a sense, with people in their dreams as you mentioned. I believe that the character in Sea of Sorrows also "saw" things the aliens were doing. Finally, in Alien: Prototype which just came out a character who dies at the hands of the alien had had recurring dreams of an attack by a being very much like the alien. This could be seen as a form of precognition. 

We haven't seen any abilities affecting matter such as telekinesis but we have seen, potentially empathy, telepathy (by the Queens) and precognition.

Edit: Also, the character in Sea of Sorrows seems to have some precognition at times, or at least can sense when the aliens are about to attack.
I think the sea of sorrows character was just supposed to be linked into the hive mind. He didn't so much as have precognition, he just knew when the hive had the intention to attack.
GZIP: Off