Fenhorn

Re: I got it today!!!

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 07:47

There is no pdf of the GM screen, yet.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Deep_Impact

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 08:37

as I got my parcel, I opened it in the kitchen and my wife called from the living room: "That´s a lot of black, right?" 
"Yes, same publisher as Coriolis."
"Store it in the winter garden, not anywhere here!"

That´s where it lies since then. I flip the pages from time to time. :)

But the book, map and the cards are great. Just the dice are disappointing. More particularly if compared with the very good quality of the Coriolis, Forbidden Lands or TftL dice. It´s just a presumption, that Free League had to save budget in the purchase due to the high licence cost. But given that you´ll need at least two sets instead of the usual one set like the other named games, nearly the double price for the quality is questionable.

But hey, nobody is or was forced to buy additional sets and in the bundle they were quite cheap.

Belgeval

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 08:44

I actually like them a lot. I find them very "retro-computer-ish" and I think their design fits very well with Alien. Maybe it's just the fanboy in me, but I honestly love them.

Deep_Impact

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 08:55

You can't argue about taste :) As long as you like it! I think I will sell them, guessing, that actually many people will realize that one set of 20 dice is not enough for several players at the table, but can´t buy them in the shop, yet.  :D 
So it´s a Win-Win-situation for everybody.

2nd Ltd Niceyard
Topic Author

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 11:05

I didn't download the pdf files yet, but I just unpacked the books, cards and dice and I'm quite happy with everything.
The GM-Screen download would be indeed very handy to print a Mother cheat sheet for not playing with a screen. 
The dice really would have been better with dots instead of a number (there could have been a distinguished Alien dot design), but it's all right. I like the design and the colour.
Now I got to read...

Diego

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 11:42

Yeah I personally plan to use a set of d6 that I have, which are orange marbled (base die) and green marbled (stress die) used them in chariot of the gods and the players loved them. The green dice were seriously creepy looking.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

The1TrueFredrix

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 15:01

They way I see dice is that every player should bring their own stress dice. That way, they can keep track of the stress with physical dice rather than ticks on their sheet. For that reason, as I intend to play alien, but leave the GMing to co-host Dave, I have just bought a single set of stress dice, and I will use my Coriolis dice with them. 

But yes, as to the original point on dice, though they look OK (once you have rubbed the smudged ink away), they somehow feel cheap. 
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/

Deep_Impact

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 15:16

As we played CotG we had a big pool of yellow dice in the middle of the table, that was enough and I have at least 50 smaller of them, as I used them years ago for Battletech. But usual 16mm dice even in very good quality costs less than 30ct / die.
But yes - a facehugger on the one would look great. Maybe someday (if I really play Alien more regulary) I order some custom from Q-Workshop, Chessex or another dice-forge.

I asked for Forbidden Lands some time ago, but printing / engraving more than one size makes the dice very very very expensive. So no Facehugger and accentuated six. 
I think that is something to have in mind for the dice FL produced, too.

Diego

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 19:53

As we played CotG we had a big pool of yellow dice in the middle of the table, that was enough and I have at least 50 smaller of them, as I used them years ago for Battletech. But usual 16mm dice even in very good quality costs less than 30ct / die.
But yes - a facehugger on the one would look great. Maybe someday (if I really play Alien more regulary) I order some custom from Q-Workshop, Chessex or another dice-forge.

I asked for Forbidden Lands some time ago, but printing / engraving more than one size makes the dice very very very expensive. So no Facehugger and accentuated six. 
I think that is something to have in mind for the dice FL produced, too.
Yeah I know the woe well. You want custom dice printing on anything else other than a single color D6 and the cost shoots up. That said Chessex did used to do a system where if you bought over 60 then the price came down significantly. I wouldn't call the dice provided with the game cheap, but I do think in the pursuit of a minimalist look they are a tad underwhelming given the cornucopia of exotic dice out there.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

2nd Ltd Niceyard
Topic Author

Tue 12 Nov 2019, 20:56

maybe there's an easy way of engraving it by hand?
Perhaps with a Dremel or some little boring tool.