herr_phil
Topic Author

Resource depletion/usage Program

Sat 09 Nov 2019, 22:42

Just for fun (I teach CS), I made a little program in scratch that you can calculate the average amount of rolls you can get out of a given resource (e.g. food, water, power).  The link to it is Scratch QuickDice for anyone who wants to play with it.  For those just looking for the numbers.  Having 6 of a resource equates to 14 rolls on average before depletion, 5 resource equates to 13, 4 resource equates to 12, 3 resource equates to 11, 2 resource equates to 9 and 1 resource (naturally) equates to 6.  Feel free to play and modify.  As a GM, it is always helpful to know that you can use the motion tracker 14 times before it dies on you.

Deep_Impact

Re: Resource depletion/usage Program

Sun 10 Nov 2019, 09:08

Good to know. I made the calculation myself some time ago but by hand. Can't remember if the results where exactly the same, but should be.

The resource system always has this strange feeling, because it goes down fast at the beginning and the slows down significantly.

Birdie_Sparrow

Sun 10 Nov 2019, 22:47

Good to know. I made the calculation myself some time ago but by hand. Can't remember if the results where exactly the same, but should be.

The resource system always has this strange feeling, because it goes down fast at the beginning and the slows down significantly.
Welcome to real life! LOL

I know when I had a full basic load of ammunition in the infantry I did not care in the beginning how much lead was put down range! But when my AG would say "We got maybe 200 rounds left" my firing rate took a significant nose dive as I tried to conserve my supplies. Same with water - when you are at half a canteen it becomes small sips versus gulps! When ones battery in a cell phone hits <10% most people stop surfing the net, sending frivolous texts etc until they can charge up. 

So I think it mimics real life pretty well! :)

Deep_Impact

Mon 11 Nov 2019, 04:47

Good point!

Diego

Mon 11 Nov 2019, 20:08

More to the point it serves to raise tension. Quick losses in supplies get everyone's nerves on edge, then you are left making single dice rolls to see if you still have oxygen, literally harking back to the old days of 2nd edition dungeons and dragon... save or die.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up