Attackmack
Topic Author

GM Screen

Sun 18 Aug 2019, 09:55

Im looking at the Coriolis GM screen (the only one I own from Fria Ligan games) and was thinking about what info will be within the Alien screen?
Personally I find the Coriolis screen to contain a lot of needless info, while omitting very useful things such as the critical injuries table or ship critical hits etc.

For the Alien screen, I really hope that it contains the critical injuries table. I also hope it contains the stats and attack tables for at least the most common xenomorphs.
Omit information that is either easy to remember (+- dice of difficulties) or just as easy to make up on the spot (please, no big charts of random NPC names etc).
Let the screen contain the big rule tables and info related to more uncommon rules.

Byrax

Re: GM Screen

Sun 18 Aug 2019, 10:13

+1. The Swedish screen(s) for Mutant is full of not so useful stuff.

PS and an annoying spelling mistake that is still there on the new reprinted deluxe screen...

Konungr

Sun 18 Aug 2019, 22:35

I have never (not even once) purchased a GM screen that had the information I needed on a GM screen without the crap I I did not need wasting space. I would love it if FL built the alien screen to have exactly what we need but chances are the font will be too big, the margins will be too big, art and style will take precedence over clarity and organization and with that removing room information wouldn't fit even if they were trying to include it.

The outside of a GM Screen is where pretty pictures and style goes. The inside should be a monument to clinical practicality. We will have to make out own.

aramis

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 00:22

The outside of a GM Screen is where pretty pictures and style goes. The inside should be a monument to clinical practicality. We will have to make out own.
I generally don't use screens, but instead, put the charts and tables landscape into a folder. If I can keep my tables down to 2 page sides, I might even buy some cheap file-folders, and paste them onto the insides... more often than not, tho', I wind up with a tables booklet in landscape mode, bound on long edge, in page protectors.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Konungr

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 03:58

I generally don't use screens, but instead, put the charts and tables landscape into a folder. If I can keep my tables down to 2 page sides, I might even buy some cheap file-folders, and paste them onto the insides... more often than not, tho', I wind up with a tables booklet in landscape mode, bound on long edge, in page protectors.
I got one of these.

https://rpggeek.com/thread/1832136/only ... -ever-need

4 panel landscape that I can print my tables onto card stock and put into the sleeves. Just swap the sheets when playing different games and print up different 8.5 x 11 pictures to set a tone with art work for the players.

aramis

Tue 20 Aug 2019, 20:07

I got one of these.
As do I... two, in fact. It's a pain to load, and I tend to shift game systems twice or thrice a year... and I find, even tho they're landscape, landscape, it's too tall. And my laser printer's toner sticks.
I just made a 3-panel wood L5R 5e screen of 4"x12" (roughly 10x30 cm) 1/8" thick basswood in landscape mode, with tables pasted on. 
For me, it's too short. And neither of us even looked at the official one... it's 8x11" portrait.
I'm thinking 3 or 4 panels basswood, with a channel top and bottom added (must borrow someone's shop to do it.... run a rabbet  on some 1/4" square stock, glue to top and bottom edges, then glue fabric on the outside, so I can pop in/out cardstock panels as desired... but really, I just wind up putting most screens flat on the table anyway, and my adventure notes in page protectors in one 50¢ 3-prong folder, and system tables in another. Looking at what's available, there are glue-on pockets for 5x8" card in landscape... maybe make a 5-panel screen of those...
I'm getting the Alien screen because I bought the bundle, as I wanted the other goodies. It would be nice if it were useful, too, but my last time actually liking a screen commercially released by the publisher was for FFG Star Wars...  but it became obsolete¹ so damned fast, that I'm glad the other materials in the pack were useful... 
1: My primary need for a GM screen is weapon and crititcal tables. 
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...