alexdelarge
Topic Author

Solo play

Fri 09 Aug 2019, 14:43

Hi,

I was wondering if it's feasible to play Alien RPG solo. Any thoughts?

hibishop

Re: Solo play

Fri 09 Aug 2019, 17:14

I would think so.  There's no real teamwork mechanic in Alien.  It's just a bunch of concurrent solo players.

The Secret Agendas are worthless at that point (and perhaps so too acquiring Story Points).  You would lose some of the atmospheric tension around apposing agendas (betrayal/mutiny).  As long as there are other NPCs that the GM controls, the PC could still have opposing roll interactions. 

I've ran Mouse Guard as a solo play and that's actually geared more around teamwork.

aramis

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 01:58

I would think so.  There's no real teamwork mechanic in Alien.  It's just a bunch of concurrent solo players.
You need to reread the rules, because you've missed a bunch.
page 36, group rolls
Page 37, help from others
Page 42, group observation
Page 45, Negotiation Position
Page 45, first aid.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

hibishop

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 02:09

You need to reread the rules, because you've missed a bunch.
page 36, group rolls
Page 37, help from others
Page 42, group observation
Page 45, Negotiation Position
Page 45, first aid.
No, I got it.  I'm just saying, maybe with the exception of First Aid, none of those are critical gameplay mechanics.  

wilhuf

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 03:05

Speaking of the help from others mechanics, why would anyone help for only one base die if they could just not help and get more base dice with a skill check?
Is help from others done instead of a skill check or in addition to a skill check?
We're at our safest when we're not working.

aramis

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 04:17

Speaking of the help from others mechanics, why would anyone help for only one base die if they could just not help and get more base dice with a skill check?
Is help from others done instead of a skill check or in addition to a skill check?
Fundamentally, the help/group mechanic is best dice pool rolls, getting one additional base die per additional person involved. 
In perception and group resistance, either everyone or no one is affected/notices. It's not an allowed option to roll separately.

Jhea

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 18:14

Depends. (on the PVP-ish side)
In that module chariot of the gods, it is definetly a more or less PVP-ish environment.
And you can do it, since it is a more or less one shotty Story with a clear beginning mid and end act arc. The PVP-ish elements definetly a part of this scenario.

If you want a longer run campaign, with custom made characters where you need every player to put some thought into it... i would cut the pvp-ish elements and just let them have the old 'we are a group and work together DnD-ish style gameplay.

But for this game, i'm not sure if a single player really makes sense.
Well yes, yuo can run it for one player, but you as a GM have to play every enemy and even the other crewmembers...
that might be super intense for the one player... but i guess it will be super draining for you as GM also...
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

wilhuf

Mon 12 Aug 2019, 16:53

Fundamentally, the help/group mechanic is best dice pool rolls, getting one additional base die per additional person involved. 
In perception and group resistance, either everyone or no one is affected/notices. It's not an allowed option to roll separately.
Except when it's fundamentally not. For example, if Leah Davis (Agility 5, Ranged Combat 2) helped Kayla Rye (Agility 3, Ranged 0) in a ranged combat roll, Davis would add +1 to Rye, giving Rye 4 base dice (p success 52%).

But if Davis rather than helping, waited her turn and rolled for her own ranged combat, Rye would roll 3 base dice on her turn (p success 42%) and, Miller would roll 7 on hers (p success 72%). 

There could be corner cases where someone would take a single p 52% success check over a combination of a p 42% success check and p 72% success check in a ranged combat. For instance, if Rye had a weapon that could deal more damage than Davis and make a killing blow, maybe help would be a good idea.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

aramis

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 10:40

Combat is exp[licitly excluded wilhuff, from the one roll only.

The1TrueFredrix

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 13:33

Except when it's fundamentally not. For example, if Leah Davis (Agility 5, Ranged Combat 2) helped Kayla Rye (Agility 3, Ranged 0) in a ranged combat roll, Davis would add +1 to Rye, giving Rye 4 base dice (p success 52%).

But if Davis rather than helping, waited her turn and rolled for her own ranged combat, Rye would roll 3 base dice on her turn (p success 42%) and, Miller would roll 7 on hers (p success 72%). 

There could be corner cases where someone would take a single p 52% success check over a combination of a p 42% success check and p 72% success check in a ranged combat. For instance, if Rye had a weapon that could deal more damage than Davis and make a killing blow, maybe help would be a good idea.
As Amaris says combat is not a roll where you can/should “help”, from the core rules: “This rule does not apply in combat, where each PC is free to attack any enemy they like.” The idea behind help rolls (I think) is to avoid that situation where one person tries to pick the lock, and fails, and another person tries and so on, which is boring in play, and MASSIVELY distorts the probabities.
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/