CEBedford

Re-skinning Alien.

Thu 01 Aug 2019, 20:28

At some point, maybe for Halloween, I’m going to reskin this game for The Thing. That got me thinking how this system is already geared very well for a variety of horror franchises.

Seems like all you’d need to do is change the name of some skills to better fit the setting, and create a random action table for your monster/slasher/alien life form. It’s taking me back to the days of running all of my horror games using All Flesh Must Be Eaten, but with far far less prep involved.

I know it’s probably a bit early, but have any of you already run or plan to run something different using the system? What changes if any are you planning to make to do so?

wilhuf

Re: Re-skinning Alien.

Fri 02 Aug 2019, 00:10

I'm considering using the Year Zero/Alien system for a Blade Runner investigative. I'm still familiarizing myself with the game system, and tweaks relating to knowledge/discovery might make sense. But yeah, many fans consider Blade Runner and Alien(s) in the same universe.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

HamsterOfWrath

Fri 02 Aug 2019, 18:27

The Year Zero dice pool system feels like a refined and faster version of the Warhammer 40k RPG Wrath and Glory, so with a bit of tinkering and throwing in some bits and pieces from Coriolis I think it would work well, providing it was an all human party. 

The1TrueFredrix

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 23:11

At some point, maybe for Halloween, I’m going to reskin this game for The Thing. That got me thinking how this system is already geared very well for a variety of horror franchises.
Co-host Dave ran a version of the Thing with the Coriolis ruleset some years back. We are planning on doing it again for the Year Zero Workshop when that goes live. But in the meantime, resources are here
Effekt - A fan podcast celebrating Swedish RPGs including, but not limited to: Alien; Coriolis; Forbidden Lands; Symbaroum; and Tales from the Loop. Featuring discussion magazine episodes and Actual Play recordings. https://effektpodcast.org/
GZIP: Off