Pily

Re: How many xenos on LV-426?

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 18:06

How does that make any sense with ANY of the other alien movies?
Well in Alien the drone alien can transform people into eggs over time from it's nest but i do believe Ridley and co wanted that way

And in Aliens i believe james cameron wanted a queen to explain how they laid so many eggs

So now back to alien it is now believed the drone alien can make a nest and transform people into eggs if no queen is about to lay eggs

So technical the Aliens can do both now depends on the situation

Jhea

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 18:17

tbh - just stick with what you think is the best explanation.
And i and James Cameron think it's the Alien queen.

Ridley Scott thinks it's the 'morphs a human into an egg thing'

And since Ridley scott made Alien (a masterpiece), Prometheus and Alien: Covenent (total bullcrap) i think Ridley scott has nothing to say in this matter and we stick to the Alien Queen lorewise ;)

That's also the reason i ditch all bloodburster and Protoalien crap from my Alien RPG ;D
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

Byrax

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 18:54

@Jhea, +1

Konungr

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 19:13

And since Ridley scott made Alien (a masterpiece), Prometheus and Alien: Covenent (total bullcrap) i think Ridley scott has nothing to say in this matter and we stick to the Alien Queen lorewise ;)

That's also the reason i ditch all bloodburster and Protoalien crap from my Alien RPG ;D
Agreed. Also, the author is dead. We never once saw a drone actually make someone into an egg. Just a cacoon that looked very egg like. What ridley scott has to say about it is interesting but basically just doesnt matter.

Waerolvirin

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 18:10

The Leading Edge RPG of this explained a bit in detail the contingent of Xenomorphs BEFORE the Colonists. Remember, the derelict ship had "thousands of eggs" according to Kane. The behind-the-scenes info on the xenomorphs was that Queens have stages, from 1 to 10, each more powerful than the last. The specimen in the atmosphere processor was a Stage 3 Queen, IIRC. In a room of the derelict alien ship was a Stage 10 Queen in stasis that no one had found.

Riggswolfe

Mon 09 Sep 2019, 18:56

I think it can be both. If there's no queen around the question does become "how do we get a new queen and/or eggs?" The egg morphing thing is a nice solution to that quandary. 

Yuber Okami

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 07:58

In the original (never aired) version of Alien, Dallas told Ripley he was being transformed into "one of those things". That scene originally never passed the cut, so in the sequel they had the option of introducing a queen. When they decided to air the Director's Cut of the original movie they decided to include the scene with Dallas and Brett, but taking out the part which conflicted with the sequel's canon. BTW, am I the only one who thinks that with that scene you see Ripley killing Dallas for free? I mean, she could have taken him to the Narcissus as he wasn't pregnant according to the sequel. I think it's the only case in which the director's cut is far worse than the original, and that skipping the most hilarious scenes

Rymdhamster

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 15:29

I think it can be both. If there's no queen around the question does become "how do we get a new queen and/or eggs?" The egg morphing thing is a nice solution to that quandary. 
Maybe the answer just is: you don't.

Maybe killing the queen and destroying the eggs means the infection is stopped, and it's "just" a matter of mopping up the remaining xenomorphs. I mean, from a story telling point of view there can always be one more egg hidden away, with a queen facehugger in it.

Riggswolfe

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 15:42

Maybe the answer just is: you don't.

Maybe killing the queen and destroying the eggs means the infection is stopped, and it's "just" a matter of mopping up the remaining xenomorphs. I mean, from a story telling point of view there can always be one more egg hidden away, with a queen facehugger in it.
The interesting thing is that when you look at what we now know about how the Alien embryo is implanted and the black goo itself egg morphing seems more plausible than it did before the prequels. Ironically, we've misunderstood egg morphing for years. I have at least. According to Ridley Scott Brett wasn't literally morphing into an egg. He was just a food source for an egg that was slowly growing. 

If you're not aware of what I refer to with the embryo implantation, I think most people picture it as the facehugger literally putting an egg or embryo down the victims throat. But in actuality, what it does is put some kind of liquid containing a retrovirus in the victim. This virus then breaks down the surrounding tissue and builds the embryo out of the victims own body. This is a big part of why the Xenomorphs take on the characteristics of the hosts. Ash wasn't too far off when he called the one on the Nostromo "Kane's son."

So, yeah, knowing all this, I think egg morphing make sense if a Xeno is in a situation with no hive and queen. It allows a single xeno to slowly build its own hive. It also makes a single xeno a threat to an entire colony or world.

Konungr

Fri 13 Sep 2019, 05:57

On the other hand I think it makes more sense for a drone to begin to molt into a queen when no queen is present. They already go through several life stages. Having one in absence of the reproducing queen molt again into a premature queen and then take over the swarm while implanting many embryos and growing the hive quickly just works.
GZIP: Off