arcosanti

Re: What to share with players

Mon 15 Jul 2019, 22:41

Go out and buy a pack of 3x5 note cards. In the USA I can grab a pack of 300 for about $5.00. The most useful thing you will ever get as a DM (besides a good DM screen I suppose). I also have a little plastic flip lid box to put them in and bought little sorting cards with letters/numbers on them. 
This entire post is excellent advice and I'm in the process of doing exactly this for our first run of Chariot of the Gods, especially Step 3.  The only thing I would add is that color-coded index cards greatly help with quick visual identification.  For example: red cards for monsters, green cards for NPCs, gold for events, etc.  I also find it useful to create index cards for individual pieces of equipment because of the way it simplifies inventory management.  New players can see the exact stats at a glance and if the gear changes hands, so does the card.

Jhea

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 17:53

Exactly what he said ^^. As a GM beginner myself I am also struggling with what to ingest and what do digest! :) In fact, I started reading out something to the players and had to abruptly stop as it was not meant to be read to them, and we decided to pack it in and play something else. We do a lot of Traveller also.
First thing...
you should read everything as a game master before even trying to play with the players.
then you need to figure out how some stuff works or will not work (i think you know your players and know what they like and played something similiar to this)
then you just add stuff to the stuff you need and find interesting or cut away stuff that you don't need... 
best thing is you just make some kind of note book and write the plotline down.

here comes the tricky part. if you messed up and think 'oh my, part 2 was really important and i somehow didn't want to include it now, but i really have to...'
don't panic. take your time. tell the players you need a moment.
take a brake, everyone apreciates that once in a while, and think of a way on how to get there.
use your own imagination.
everything provided by a tabeltop RPG book is just information you can use or not use.
everything is optional, always, and noone can tell you and your buddies how to have fun.
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

Pily

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 18:15

Exactly what he said ^^. As a GM beginner myself I am also struggling with what to ingest and what do digest! :) In fact, I started reading out something to the players and had to abruptly stop as it was not meant to be read to them, and we decided to pack it in and play something else. We do a lot of Traveller also.
First thing...
you should read everything as a game master before even trying to play with the players.
then you need to figure out how some stuff works or will not work (i think you know your players and know what they like and played something similiar to this)
then you just add stuff to the stuff you need and find interesting or cut away stuff that you don't need... 
best thing is you just make some kind of note book and write the plotline down.

here comes the tricky part. if you messed up and think 'oh my, part 2 was really important and i somehow didn't want to include it now, but i really have to...'
don't panic. take your time. tell the players you need a moment.
take a brake, everyone apreciates that once in a while, and think of a way on how to get there.
use your own imagination.
everything provided by a tabeltop RPG book is just information you can use or not use.
everything is optional, always, and noone can tell you and your buddies how to have fun.
Indeed Jhea as the book says you don't need to follow the acts as they are you can mix them up and change things about ad or not ad things. The most important thing is taking ur time learning the game and enjoying it with friends or family or both

HamsterOfWrath

Sun 04 Aug 2019, 10:50

I'm cobbling together a test scenario which is a bit less populated and a bit more straightforward than Chariot of the Gods, as I haven't GM'd for ages and the players are new to the system. One thing I'm finding useful is putting potential Events in with (my admittedly less detailed) Location descriptions, so if the players (or me) stall at any point on the map something can happen for them to react to in order to give a bit of a jumpstart.   

hibishop

Mon 05 Aug 2019, 17:13

I'm cobbling together a test scenario which is a bit less populated and a bit more straightforward than Chariot of the Gods, as I haven't GM'd for ages and the players are new to the system. One thing I'm finding useful is putting potential Events in with (my admittedly less detailed) Location descriptions, so if the players (or me) stall at any point on the map something can happen for them to react to in order to give a bit of a jumpstart.   
Attaching Events to Locations is an excellent idea. 

From a GM perspective, consider working backwards.  What does your endgame look like?  Do you want to include the Sotllio [Prepared to be Boarded]?  Do you want to go the Inflected/Abomination route [The Infection Spreads]?  Do you want to go Adult Neomorph stalking route [Hunter and Prey]?  I'd pick one, and as the GM, really hammer home that intended outcome.

Be wary of Act III Events that don't always work out as intended:  [Mutiny!] and [Contamination Protocol].  [Mutiny!], as written, is Clayton-centric, which if an NPC, requires the GM to put in some work.  As for [Contamination Protocol], I got push back from my players saying it's a little too convenient (Spoilers) that even after defeating Lucas, he uploads himself to the mainframe of the Cronus and triggers a reactor overload anyway.  "What was the point of trying to save the Cronus for the last two Acts if the GM was just going to blow it up one way or another?"  Seemed to be a forced conclusion, though that might have been the fault of how the GM (me) narrated it.    

Konungr

Mon 05 Aug 2019, 17:50

I personally like to write out small events on a table. d6 or d12 depending on the size of the area. Sometimes it's just a monster or monster/s encounter. When things seem to lag I will roll on the table and see what wrench gets thrown in to mix up the situation.

Cut the power. Have something on the ship break. Have a neomorph on the prowl. Anything.
GZIP: Off