Pr6i6e6st

Re: Share your on-theme campaign Ideas

Sun 03 Nov 2019, 03:02

I feel like a resident evil types scenario would work really well with the rules. I saw a supplement for Call of Cthulhu d20, but as I read it, it felt like that panic rules would feel so much more appropriate.

sanjurotokage

Thu 07 Nov 2019, 01:27

I think more about setting a long term goal for a campaign that the PC are aiming for. Some of the themes running in my head at the moment are taken inspiration from Alien River of Pain and Alien Bug Hunt 
  • Real Monster Hunters - Identify and take down the corporate execs and scientists responsible for using colonists as guinea pigs and wanting the Xenomorphs as bioweapons. This could be adjusted to the top brass in the Colonial Marines linked in with the Corporates responsible making good marines expendable.
  • The Truth is Out There - Corporate companies will cover up the xenomorph threat from the general public but some already know the dangers. If joe/jill public knew what was out there, would they be so quick to sign up to work on shake n bake colonies. This means gathering evidence and getting it out there to the right members of government. 
  • OMG MU/TH/ER, what have you done?!? - The crew wake up out of cyro but find they are in the middle of nowhere and way off course from home. They have to find a way to get home, a journey taking them to unexplored worlds, old ruins, abandoned ships and outposts where the xenomorph or more worse threats lie in wait
  • Tour of Duty - Colonial Marine life is hard and many hope to make it to the end with enough money to buy that farm, bar (Hudson's plan in the Aliens novelisation) or marry their sweetheart. It isn't easy though with the top brass and corporate suits seeing the squad as expendable assets in xenomorph collection

Gebohq

Thu 07 Nov 2019, 08:31

While more fitting for a one-shot than a campaign, I am considering a bit of reverse engineering the rules to flip-flop the roles and have the players be the aliens themselves with the general goal to serve their hive. Perhaps the structure would be something akin to:
  1. Act 1: "Outsiders have been sensed at the hive perimeter. Scout and see if they can be made into hosts." The enemy group would be mostly mercenary marines hired by W-Y or another megacorp. with at least one android accompanying them. They'd fight back, but the initial complication would be another local hive trying to muscle in.
  2. Act 2: "The rival hive threatens our territory and our prey. End the threat." The focus would shift to fighting other aliens. who could either be the sub-types from Alien Covenant or simply be another group of 'standard' aliens. The players might notice the surviving humans slinking about and, if so, might be able to impact Act 3 (or add extra challenge)
  3. Act 3: "Our hive has been invaded! Protect our future at any cost!" Depending on how the prior acts have gone, the 'invasion' might be the rival hive, the surviving humans who have attempted to steal eggs (and maybe set the place to blow) or a combination of both. The final scenes may be attempting to flee to build a new hive, stow aboard an escaping spaceship, or simply eliminate particular enemy leaders.
While I think "classes"/"characters" would be easy enough to spin up (drone, worker, soldier, runner, etc.) and even skills and talents might be respun from particular special abilities and the like, I imagine personal agendas and stress/panic would no longer apply, though obviously if I can think of some way to rework those in, that'd be cool too. Really, though, I just want to provide the fun of being an alien slinking about and mauling things like in the AvP games.

Thoughts?
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net

sanjurotokage

Thu 07 Nov 2019, 21:08

If you are thinking about a one-shot as the players being Aliens, you may want to check out the short story Dangerous Prey in Alien Bug Hunt - it tells the story from the Alien perspective.

There are themes of loyalty to the hive and sacrifice.

Also, something I learned from beekeeping- if there is more than one queen egg being breed. The other bees will form groups being loyal to one egg though sharing similar dna. The groups will fight each other for dominance as there can be only one queen in the hive.

Gebohq

Thu 07 Nov 2019, 23:21

If you are thinking about a one-shot as the players being Aliens, you may want to check out the short story Dangerous Prey in Alien Bug Hunt - it tells the story from the Alien perspective.  

There are themes of loyalty to the hive and sacrifice.

Also, something I learned from beekeeping- if there is more than one queen egg being breed. The other bees will form groups being loyal to one egg though sharing similar dna. The groups will fight each other for dominance as there can be only one queen in the hive.
I've been a chump and not reading any usual fiction novel stuff lately, but I may look into this, if only to see where I could maybe add more of the 'social' aspect to the more sneaky-action heavy RPing being an alien would otherwise be.

As for the beekeeping -- fun fact! I'd actually debate if I'd want to have queens involved in such a one-shot only because they tend to naturally hog the interest spotlight and I'd ultimately want the players to still feel like they're the murder-happy stars of the show they likely want to be. ;)
The Plothole: a home for amateur, inclusive, collaborative stories
http://forums.theplothole.net