I was definitely glad to see mention of much broader themes in the starter-kit (Good job Free League )
So i thought I might start a convo about things you want to run for your players that are on-theme but not from official lore.
- A former marine, now leader of an independent colony is rumored to have gone mad and will need to be 'managed' if the region is to be controlled (Think: Apocalypse Now)
- Drug Smugglers have been tracked back to a commercial space station where they are somehow transferring narcotics. Can the group discover how they are concealing the drugs? Does the group report them, or a cut a deal?
- A long lost cargo container intended for a political leader, turns out contain 20 high-end, very expensive, pleasure-synths. If word of this gets out it could be politically damning, or incredibly lucrative for the group.
- Communications with a comms-relay-station have gone dark. Upon arrival the party discover the station's occupants have been growing genetically engineered narcotics; but not without disturbing consequences.
- On a remote colony a bacteria in the water is causing the infected to see violent hallucinations, which manifest as shadowy human-like killers, but are they hallucinations?
- An ophiocordyceps fungus causes mold like fungus and spores to grow from human-hosts causing them to attack others (Think: Clickers from Last of Us)
- Rations are lower than expected, and things are not in their correct place. Perhaps there is a stow-away on board?
- A shady merchant offers a deal which seems too good to be true, but only it the crew sabotage a competitor.
That's all i have for now, i'll update as i think of more.
But I'd love to hear other people's ideas.