Spamsolo

Re: Share your on-theme campaign Ideas

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 22:56

I have a loose idea in mind where the story starts at a familiar place: 

The PCs intercept a distress call from a nearby ship. Once they investigate, they find a damaged freighter floating in space. They breach it and find damage everywhere and bodies strewn about. As they investigate further they find a number of crude forms of android and they have taken over the ship and killed its occupants.

Later in the campaign, the investigation would lead to one of the Cults mentioned in the Starter Kit and how they plan on releasing xenomorph entities throughout the core systems. 

I'd like to limit the amount of xenomorph activity and really make them a threat later on. I like the idea of exploring the entire universe and not just the Weyland-Yutani/xenomorph thing. 

Johnny

Tue 20 Aug 2019, 11:11

I would like to explore a bit more the "world" without necessarily running into xenomorphs. Something like Outland could work great, some stories of industrial espionage and specially I would like to run a story where the enemies are androids (both the Weyland Yutani type -Bishop, Ash, etc.- or the ones seen in Isolation): I think they can be as scary as the xenomorphs, the way the can just turn on someone following some unkown directive when they could have been perfectly friendly up to that point.
"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?"

Yuber Okami

Thu 29 Aug 2019, 09:58

No campaign but one-shot ideas (which could be developed into full campaigns):

- Beacon's Bait: the character's ship receives a cryptic signal comming from a seemingly uninhabited planet. What starts as an apparent Alien's rip-off turns out into a trap as the signal has been crafted by a band of stranded space pirates who need a new starship to get off-planet.

- Galactic Archaeology: the pcs are visiting a newly colonized planet/are the first colonists. At one point, they discover the ruins of another settlement (a human one). Maybe it was a lab conducting experiments so dangerous it had to be in an isolated planet and whatever they were doing went amok and destroyed everything, or maybe it was a colony from another faction/company which was destroyed by something native which is still lurking around. And maybe the original owners won't be pleased if they are to know there are new people in the neibourghood (maybe they are the ones who will show up first if some sends an SOS...).

Jizmack

Wed 11 Sep 2019, 02:13

SOLO ADVENTURE
Based on the 2013 Riddick movie...
Theme
Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, the character must fight for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he has yet encountered. His only hope for escape is to activate an emergency beacon, but that brings with it a different problem: colonial marines with corporate agents.
Background Options
1. Why was the character left for dead, and by whom?
2. Who or what was the character hoping for to rescue him by activating the beacon?
3. Why are colonial marines and corporate agents a problem?
Plot Twist Options
1. Enemy of My Enemy: The character learns how to survive by evading the alien predators, but likewise knows how to lure them to hunt down the colonial marines.
3. The Body Electric: The character confronts a fugitive synthetic, an android on the run, and they agree to work together to commandeer the corporate ship that answered the beacon call.
4. Mothership: The character realizes that the emergence beacon is part of a buried crashed spaceship, which is triggered to power up once the rescue ship arrives in orbit, bringing the derelict ship’s Mother back online.

Diego

Mon 30 Sep 2019, 01:58

I think the main thing to keep in mine when tapping into a campaign for Alien is to realize that the Alien should only either be alluded to until the climax of the campaign or the campaign should be structured in such a way that a confrontation with the creature is not mandated. In that regard it is a gritty sci-fi setting until it turns into science fiction horror.

My intention for the alien campaign is to weave a story of my own design, however in the past I have had three thoughts based on existing Alien lore (namely the DH comics line).

1) Alien Labyrinth: A campaign based around a research facility where the head researched has gone insane and is experimenting with the Alien. The players are workers for the research station (haulers/salvage operatives etc) however some of them are actually corporate spies/intergalactic narcs tasked with bringing down the insane researcher.

2) Earth War: The players are working for a company that is doing research on the Alien on Earth. Small stories would eventually culminate in the quarantine failure at the facility and the subsequent release of the Alien onto Earth. Now it's surviving an Alien Apocalypse.

3) Isolation: Life on the fringe is hard and gets worse when an event happens on your home station of Sevastapol. Friends are going missing, people are leaving by the droves and the fuzz are getting edgy and trigger happy. Don't even get me started on the sounds coming from the vents.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

aramis

Tue 01 Oct 2019, 00:31

Campaign Idea ripped straight from the LEG Aliens: There are other BEM's to engage with in the various worlds that, while not as nasty, are still major threats. Unleashing a queen on a colony is a campaign arc closer...
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

marcmundet

Sat 05 Oct 2019, 17:23

Hi everyone!

Here comes the idea I'm considering for my group's first Alien Campaign:

It would be centered in a colony. The idea is that there are different waves of colonists comming to the planet. The first one is supposed to establish an outpost and start the terraforming machinery.
Then five years latter another colony ship with the majority of the colonists comes to the planet to settle a bigger colony. So far so good.
The thing is that when the second ship arrives there's nobody on the outpost.

My idea is that the players will play two alternate timelines:
- The first one will cover the second ship arrival and beyond
- The second one will be a Tales from the Loop game set on the outpost colony during the first years (the characters will be the children of the first colonists)

So my group will be playing in a different timeline every session going back and forth from first and second and trying to find out what happened and how to make the planet into a viable colony.

So, here are my toughts for the campaign. 
What do you guys think of it?
Any ideas and suggestions will be more than wellcome.

Riggswolfe

Sun 06 Oct 2019, 08:55

Hi everyone!

Here comes the idea I'm considering for my group's first Alien Campaign:

It would be centered in a colony. The idea is that there are different waves of colonists comming to the planet. The first one is supposed to establish an outpost and start the terraforming machinery.
Then five years latter another colony ship with the majority of the colonists comes to the planet to settle a bigger colony. So far so good.
The thing is that when the second ship arrives there's nobody on the outpost.

My idea is that the players will play two alternate timelines:
- The first one will cover the second ship arrival and beyond
- The second one will be a Tales from the Loop game set on the outpost colony during the first years (the characters will be the children of the first colonists)

So my group will be playing in a different timeline every session going back and forth from first and second and trying to find out what happened and how to make the planet into a viable colony.

So, here are my toughts for the campaign. 
What do you guys think of it?
Any ideas and suggestions will be more than wellcome.
It sounds interesting. If I ran it I'd probably skip the second timeline but that's just me. Have you decided yet why the first colony disappeared? I get Roanoke vibes from it, or at least, the more fun speculation about what happened there as opposed to what probably really did happen.

marcmundet

Sun 06 Oct 2019, 13:31

Yeah, the Roanoke idea is just what got me the inspiration in the first place. I still haven't decided exactly what happens to the first colony...
I know it will involve an archeological finding but still not sure how everything fits togheter. I guess I still have time until the book arrives :-P

Diego

Mon 07 Oct 2019, 02:23

I think marcmundets ideas is excellent. I think it would be hard to run, but pulled out would be outstanding.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up