CynicalMo
Topic Author

Virtual Tabletops?

Fri 31 May 2019, 18:14

Just wondering if anyone is planning on using a VTT to run this? 
I don't have much experience with them so I was looking for low (or no) cost and low learning curve. All the GMing I've done has been mostly pen and paper. Just recently started using digital character sheets for D&D. I pre-ordered this morning (afternoon for Stockholm) and haven't got my starter kit yet but I imagine using a VTT would require lots of programming from scratch since the system is new. I'm not too worried about maps at the moment but being able to track characters and keep all my info together in one place would be great. I plan on hosting some sessions at my local game pub in the next few weeks so I'm itching to get started.
Thanks!

CynicalMo
Topic Author

Re: Virtual Tabletops?

Fri 31 May 2019, 18:33

So I just realized I was more interested in software in the game master aid venue rather than a VTT but would still be interested in everyone's opinions on both.

Valyar

Fri 31 May 2019, 19:38

I am using heavily Realm Works as organizer for everything rpg related. I will be uploading the Alien book as well. The format of Free League books is awesome and very easy to transfer in RW. Symbaroum, Coriolis and Forbidden Lands are already neatly inside.

I also use Fantasy Grounds and transfer from RW on need-to-have basis.

Glimpse

Sat 01 Jun 2019, 08:07

I run and play in a D&D game and a Vampire game on Discord. We use RPBot for D&D and Thirst for Vampire. 

Using Discord, a die roller and just putting the map files on Discord for the players is an easy way to do it and you don't need a seperate vtt client, even though I know some people prefer those.

NotRussellCrowe

Mon 03 Jun 2019, 12:18

I plan on using Fantasy Grounds and the MoreCore rule set. Maybe I'll create a theme but more than likely I'll just do a background image and call that a day and spend more time playing.

A licensed rule set for Fantasy Grounds would be awesome but it doesn't content that is licensed from multiple companies always seems to be difficult to impossible to offer so I've set my expectations low.

Valyar

Mon 03 Jun 2019, 12:36

I am thinking to make CoreRPG extension for Alien and adopt the rolls used in MYZ and my enhanced Forbidden Lands extension. Will need to work on the theme and character sheet only. The beauty of the MYZ/FL/Alien/Coriolis is that you don't have the insane possibilities in D&D-like systems. Love it.

MoreCore is also an option, but causes too much dependencies, especially after one update completely broke all I had developed for Conan 2d20. :roll:

The JollyGM

Fri 07 Jun 2019, 01:50

I have moved from Fantasy Grounds as my primary VTT, and have moved to using Tabletop simulator. I created a steam workshop Alien tabletop for people to use. This is always an option to try out.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1753799650

You can check out what it looks like on my youtube channel if you want as well. Here.. 
Regards
Jolly

Valyar

Fri 07 Jun 2019, 15:59

I have moved from Fantasy Grounds as my primary VTT, and have moved to using Tabletop simulator.
But why? :O

silvernitrate

Fri 07 Jun 2019, 17:23

Once I get familiar with the rules and read most of the cinematic starter kit, I will most likely set up a VTT room on Roll20 since I’m most familiar with this. From the VTT mentioned here, Roll20 has a pretty low learning curve.
Would anyone here be interested in the future? I would like to play with people who purchased the game for a post game discussion/feedback. Maybe the future group could even take turns running a one game so everyone get a chance to experience roleplaying a character and running a game.
Also, it would be a great addition to this forum for a play by post... is there something like this already? I’m new to FL’s forum.

The JollyGM

Fri 07 Jun 2019, 23:45

I have moved from Fantasy Grounds as my primary VTT, and have moved to using Tabletop simulator.
But why? :O
I really enjoy the natural feeling of being around a table, although virtual, it makes the games so much easier to run and play.. imho.