Addramyr
Topic Author

Health?

Thu 30 May 2019, 16:56

Hi!

So I've had a look at the character sheet, but did not (yet) pre-order, so don't have access to the Campaign PDF.

I'm curious how Health works in this game.
I have Forbidden Lands at home and in this game, your damage goes directly to your attributes (which I liked because it makes combat very dangerous and fast).

How much Health does the average character has?
Is there any effects when you loose Health or its pretty much : fine, fine, fine, dead?

Thanks!

Glimpse

Re: Health?

Thu 30 May 2019, 17:14

Your character's Health is equal to their Strength. 

If you're Broken (lose all Health) you roll for Critical Injury. You can only crawl and mumble through the pain. You regain 1 health every turn (5-10 min) unless someone can use First Aid on you.

Valyar

Thu 30 May 2019, 17:20

The mechanics is mainly forbidden lands with slight changes to accommodate the stress factor. There is Health in the game and is equal to your Strength. You don’t remove point from Strength when you take damage, you remove from the Health. When Health is depleted, you are broken and you suffer critical injury. 

This means the weapons function as in FL, rather than Coriolis, which makes more sense for sci-fi. 

Addramyr
Topic Author

Thu 30 May 2019, 17:31

Hmm does that mean they've gone away with attribute damage at all?

Deep_Impact

Thu 30 May 2019, 18:51

Strength is just used to determine the base health, their is no attribute degeneration like in Forbidden Lands.

This make armor by far more important, because a single shot could easly break an average human (very realistic!). And even such a small xenomorph like a bloodburster with it´s 6-8 base dice has a good chance to do so.

okay a normal M3 Personnel Armor only reduce 1 point of damage in average (66% chance) ...

Addramyr
Topic Author

Thu 30 May 2019, 19:00

Strength is just used to determine the base health, their is no attribute degeneration like in Forbidden Lands.

This make armor by far more important, because a single shot could easly break an average human (very realistic!). And even such a small xenomorph like a bloodburster with it´s 6-8 base dice has a good chance to do so.

okay a normal M3 Personnel Armor only reduce 1 point of damage in average (66% chance) ...
I don't see why this system makes armor far more important. On the opposite, in FL each dmg you take reduce your pool for future rolls, so it's way more important to try not take damage. You can also be broken pretty fast in FL (can easily be 1-shotted).

Makes me wonder something, is there an equivalent of "dodge / parry" in Alien to try negate damage or there's just armor to mitigate damage? If so, then yes I can see how very important armor is in Alien!

Fenhorn

Thu 30 May 2019, 19:02

There is no dodge but you can block melee attacks.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Addramyr
Topic Author

Thu 30 May 2019, 19:21

You regain 1 health every turn (5-10 min) unless someone can use First Aid on you.
That worries me a bit. Maybe it's only in Cinematic mode though, but I fail to see how this helps increasing tension in a 1-shot.
I'd definitely not give auto-regen if I ever play Campaign.

Deep_Impact

Thu 30 May 2019, 20:17

@Addramyr: I meant in comparision to Coriolis.

kjetilkverndokken

Fri 31 May 2019, 14:01

You regain 1 health every turn (5-10 min) unless someone can use First Aid on you.
That worries me a bit. Maybe it's only in Cinematic mode though, but I fail to see how this helps increasing tension in a 1-shot.
I'd definitely not give auto-regen if I ever play Campaign.
You shouldn't. Crit damage is the real dmg. And the Xenos can one hit kill a character.
This game is deadly.
The few scraps that Health represent do not make it feel like hero characters.

This based on actually playing the game :)