Takai
Topic Author

Things I do not understand in general

Wed 29 May 2019, 18:43

So I am reading through ALIEN RPG Cinematic - Starter Kit, and I am down with that s*** can not wait to get started. But there is some wording and stuff I am having some problems understanding and I hope you guys would like to enlighten my a little.  

Skills
Stamina, stunts:
  1. “You’re hardened by the experience, and don’t need to roll to overcome the exact same challenge in the future.” – Do I understand this right, if I say, that charater suffers a wound of some sort, then rolls good and picks this stunt. Are they able to just ignore that same kind of wound forward til they die?
  2. I can see that the stunt appears other times, and it make me wonder. How am I or the players to remember that action in the near future? 
Group Stealth
  1. It says it is the charater with the lowest that roll, but that can be pretty low I guess. Is there any options to get some + to that roll? Since they might be helping eachoter.
Other
Zone Features
  1. Cramped: “… or shoot past individuals next to you against targets behind them”. If I want to shoot at a target behind my fellow marine (do not ask why), would it not make more sense to give me some negative modificers? Then I have get the chance to make somekind of cover fire, but it still comes with a price.
Panic Roll
  1. In the Panic Table on page 69 in the PDF. How can the result go from -6 to 7, is that a mistake?
Mixed up dice symbols?
  1. I do get a little confused, in Other Hazards in the PDF under Explosions, Fire and Radiation you get damaged when you roll a 6 on the dice, but is it not always the 1 (Facehugger) on the dice that is the failure. I do not seem to get that.
What does things do?
  1. I am having a little trouble understanding what some of the Comments does, I can not find a easy way to find it. Could you make a simple summory of it, on a page around the weapons where it is all gathered. It really would a service for the reader.
Breaking down vehicles and objects
  1. Will I be able to break down a vehicle the same way as I would with a door or other objects? I am thinking if suchs things have “Health Points”.
Abbreviation
  1. If possiable, could you stop using abbreviation, I can not speak for others, but as english is not my first language I do not understand them and does break my reading flow.
I have to say, that this is not a rant on the thing you have created. I really like the thing you have created, but it is things I do not understand while reading through it and things that is written in a manner that confuses me a little. Take it or leave it as it it, I for one still look forward to the final product and I can not wait to drag players through Chariot of The Gods.

Keep up the wonderful work! :D

Klas Bas

Re: Things I do not understand in general

Wed 29 May 2019, 19:53

PANIC TABLE
I think ”-6” in the Panic Table means ”6 or less”.

OTHER HAZARDS
The roll is to determine the amount of damage from the explosion/fire and the six is to be considered a success for the explosion/fire. The victim is not performing an action.

Fenhorn

Wed 29 May 2019, 20:43

Stamina, stunts:
  1. “You’re hardened by the experience, and don’t need to roll to overcome the exact same challenge in the future.” – Do I understand this right, if I say, that charater suffers a wound of some sort, then rolls good and picks this stunt. Are they able to just ignore that same kind of wound forward til they die?
  2. I can see that the stunt appears other times, and it make me wonder. How am I or the players to remember that action in the near future? 
1) First, the rules say that you choose one stunt, applicable to the situation. Not all stunts are applicable to the all situations. If you are exposed to a disease for example could be appropriate for this stunt. For example, if you succeed with you resist roll (a stamina roll) and picks this stunt, then the next time you are exposed to the same disease, you don't need to roll. A stamina roll to survive cold vacuum is probably not applicable.
2) It is up to the players to keep track of what abilities they have and this stunt, technically gives you a new ability.

Group Stealth
  1. It says it is the charater with the lowest that roll, but that can be pretty low I guess. Is there any options to get some + to that roll? Since they might be helping eachoter
1) Well, this is very situational and also up to each individual GM to decide. I (in their other Year Zero Engine games) usually allows the other players to help.

Other
Zone Features
  1. Cramped: “… or shoot past individuals next to you against targets behind them”. If I want to shoot at a target behind my fellow marine (do not ask why), would it not make more sense to give me some negative modificers? Then I have get the chance to make somekind of cover fire, but it still comes with a price.
1) Cramped is a crawlspace, narrow tunnel where you can only crawl. If you like to allow that, then allow it.

Panic Roll
  1. In the Panic Table on page 69 in the PDF. How can the result go from -6 to 7, is that a mistake?
1) As Klas Bas said above, it means up to 6.

Mixed up dice symbols?
  1. I do get a little confused, in Other Hazards in the PDF under Explosions, Fire and Radiation you get damaged when you roll a 6 on the dice, but is it not always the 1 (Facehugger) on the dice that is the failure. I do not seem to get that.
1) 6s means success. So if you exposed to fire, then the fire "attacks" you. You roll a number of dice (for the fire) and if 6s are rolled, you suffer damage (i.e the fire hits you). So these rolls works like attack rolls. And with all attack rolls, 6s are hits.

What does things do?
  1. I am having a little trouble understanding what some of the Comments does, I can not find a easy way to find it. Could you make a simple summory of it, on a page around the weapons where it is all gathered. It really would a service for the reader.
1) These are explained either under weapon feature or in the weapon description or they are the comment itself explains them. But, but sure, this can be tricky and can always be improved.

1. Will I be able to break down a vehicle the same way as I would with a door or other objects? I am thinking if suchs things have “Health Points”.
1) We don't know much about this yet (this is after all not the full rulebook). In their other games, gears (including vehicles) can be destroyed, so some sort of "breaking" thing could be in the game, but we don't know yet.

Abbreviation
  1. If possiable, could you stop using abbreviation, I can not speak for others, but as english is not my first language I do not understand them and does break my reading flow.
1) There is (or will be in the real rulebook) a list of abbreviations used in the book. Stopping using abbr. would mean that the book will have to be bigger to have the same information. I don't think that is possible.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Takai
Topic Author

Wed 29 May 2019, 21:31

Other
1) We don't know much about this yet (this is after all not the full rulebook). In their other games, gears (including vehicles) can be destroyed, so some sort of "breaking" thing could be in the game, but we don't know yet.
By breaking vehicles, could there be any idea in looking more into Explosive Decompression, page 71 in the PDF.  "the weapon will inflict its base Damage rating on the bulkhead instead. Roll for the Armor Rating of the bulkhead (a typical civilian ship has Armor Rating 6). If the armor roll fails to stop the shot, it will penetrate the bulkhead, which means bad news for everyone."
As I see it, you are already one step close to make something awesome. If it make sense, you could give all vehicles - let us call it - "Bulk Points", and some kind of Armor Rating. But you would also have to make something so that a normal rifle would have some sort of a hard time taking down a tank only by shooting at it. 

But thanks a lot for the explanition and making me understanding it better.