darl_loh
Topic Author

Re: Predator?

Sat 15 Jun 2019, 05:20

Oh sure, but that begs the question...how did that happen. The predators are so physically formidable, how did they also become so smart? And, in particular, how did they create societies that surplus time to build tech to begin with. Like, historically, for humans, it wasn't until we developed agriculture that we created enough food surplus that you could have people who could devote enough of their time to some ancillary pursuit beyond just surviving that you could get advanced technology. Super advanced tech doesn't fit with super-strong, super-fast, super resilient bodies that would be amazing hunters even without high-tech stuff. So that is one question, and the other is, assuming they created the tech, why did their society devolve into this trophy hunting thing? Or did it? For instance, in the most technologically advanced portions of our current world, trophy hunting is far from a mainstream pursuit. Are the predators we see in the films the fringe of a larger society that has other priorities. I know the comics would say otherwise, but one wonders if they might write new canon.

Konungr

Sat 15 Jun 2019, 06:29

Oh sure, but that begs the question...how did that happen. The predators are so physically formidable, how did they also become so smart? And, in particular, how did they create societies that surplus time to build tech to begin with. Like, historically, for humans, it wasn't until we developed agriculture that we created enough food surplus that you could have people who could devote enough of their time to some ancillary pursuit beyond just surviving that you could get advanced technology. Super advanced tech doesn't fit with super-strong, super-fast, super resilient bodies that would be amazing hunters even without high-tech stuff. So that is one question, and the other is, assuming they created the tech, why did their society devolve into this trophy hunting thing? Or did it? For instance, in the most technologically advanced portions of our current world, trophy hunting is far from a mainstream pursuit. Are the predators we see in the films the fringe of a larger society that has other priorities. I know the comics would say otherwise, but one wonders if they might write new canon.
You are assuming that the path continues instead of diverting. Food surplus => Technological advancement => Advancement to the point of society being free to do whatever (generally results in decent into hedonism) => Movement towards personal challenge and personal advancement and personal achievement => Anyone who disagrees is weak and enslaved/eliminated by those who are stronger => Thousands of years of the law of strength => Current Pred society.

Xenomrph

Sun 16 Jun 2019, 01:29

Hmm, yeah, kind of like how Fantasy Flight did with the different Star Wars game, one playing as Rebels, another as Fringe guys and another as Force users.

But, would you want it set within the same universe?
Personally? Yes, absolutely.

Konungr

Sun 16 Jun 2019, 02:35

Hmm, yeah, kind of like how Fantasy Flight did with the different Star Wars game, one playing as Rebels, another as Fringe guys and another as Force users.

But, would you want it set within the same universe?
Personally? Yes, absolutely.
Honestly, does it matter? If the rules function together then the GM can mix it in with something as simple as an idea. Fluff never REALLY matters.

darl_loh
Topic Author

Wed 19 Jun 2019, 02:24

You are assuming that the path continues instead of diverting. Food surplus => Technological advancement => Advancement to the point of society being free to do whatever (generally results in decent into hedonism) => Movement towards personal challenge and personal advancement and personal achievement => Anyone who disagrees is weak and enslaved/eliminated by those who are stronger => Thousands of years of the law of strength => Current Pred society.
Oh, great point! Thanks

Waldviech

Tue 16 Jul 2019, 12:11

Super advanced tech doesn't fit with super-strong, super-fast, super resilient bodies that would be amazing hunters even without high-tech stuff.
I somewhat doubt, super advanced tech and a super-strong physique would automaticly exclude each other. People becoming "soft" and "decadent" by beeing civilised is a trope virtually as old as civilisation itself. This does not mean, it is automatically true every time. Even when taking a look at our own civilisation, this assumption gets some cracks. After all, physical health and sports DO play an important role in human society. It would be easy to imagine an advanced culture, that takes this a step further (think of Sparta for example), where "weakness" itself is eradicated by rigid, mandatory training, eugenics and other measures to ensure a "perfect physique".

Also, there is the possibility, that the Predators could have used advanced science, to become super-strong, super-resilient and super-fast. Who knows, if their strengh and resilience is not the result of some kind of cybernetic or biotechnological enhancement? After all that is seen in the movies, Predators are in no way reluctant to use high-tech.

And as a third option: One could also not know, if the "predatory Predators" are really that representative for their species as a whole. There could be the possibility, that the vaaaaast majority of the Predator-species lives in a ultra-advanced, peacefull Utopia and the Predators, mankind has yet encountered, are members of some weird fringe group, that is only seen as "this terribly violent Idiot-Cult" by their own kind. Or maybe, they really just are the alien equivalent of the "Victorian Great White Hunter" - a society of otherwise "civilised" or even decadent beeings, who just like killing things for sport.

(I would find this to be even more fun and interessting than the way, the official Yautia-Lore took with making them a "Noble Warrior Race")

Dreamer-of-Days

Tue 16 Jul 2019, 17:45

Not trying to yuck anyone's yum here, (and I assume I'm in the minority), but I hope Fria Ligan doesn't incorporate Predator. I don't like them : /

If they do make a system for it, be it errata or companion game, so y'all can mix it in, then I hope you enjoy it, but I for one would prefer their creative efforts to continue to expand solely on the ALIEN license.

CynicalMo

Tue 16 Jul 2019, 18:50

Not trying to yuck anyone's yum here, (and I assume I'm in the minority), but I hope Fria Ligan doesn't incorporate Predator. I don't like them : /

If they do make a system for it, be it errata or companion game, so y'all can mix it in, then I hope you enjoy it, but I for one would prefer their creative efforts to continue to expand solely on the ALIEN license.
Ditto.

Diego

Tue 16 Jul 2019, 21:22

God no, please no predators. I admire this game for been faithful primarily to Alien like Isolation was. It's about the cold depth of space with an inhuman monster named humanity, occasionally shaken up with another inhuman killing machine to create perspective.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

darl_loh
Topic Author

Tue 16 Jul 2019, 23:34

I somewhat doubt, super advanced tech and a super-strong physique would automaticly exclude each other. 
(I would find this to be even more fun and interessting than the way, the official Yautia-Lore took with making them a "Noble Warrior Race")
Agree with all your comments. I think you are thinking along the same lines as me...the official Yautja lore doesn't really explain anything, while also being a somewhat obvious and uninteresting take on what the Predators actually are. Just seeing what Fria Ligan has come up with so far, I feel like they could take the lore in interesting directions.