Pily

Re: Predator?

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 08:05

I don't see them adding Predators into this game But maybe down the line if they wish and if people want it they could do a alien v predator RPG game

aramis

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 08:37

I don't see them adding Predators into this game But maybe down the line if they wish and if people want  it they could do a alien v predator RPG game
I doubt they'd go for AVP, but I could see them doing a separate predator license with a fully compatible game... 

AVP is limited to (mostly) fans of both settings, and the small handful who like only the mix,,.

While Preadator alone has fans who dislike alien, and not all alien fans like predator (I certainly am not a fan, tho' the first Predator movie was fun...).
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Pily

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 10:54

I don't see them adding Predators into this game But maybe down the line if they wish and if people want  it they could do a alien v predator RPG game
I doubt they'd go for AVP, but I could see them doing a separate predator license with a fully compatible game... 

AVP is limited to (mostly) fans of both settings, and the small handful who like only the mix,,.

While Preadator alone has fans who dislike alien, and not all alien fans like predator (I certainly am not a fan, tho' the first Predator movie was fun...).
I agree they could do a separate game for them fans who like the mixed version aka "AVP" if they get a licence for it. but like others i am not a fan of mixing them into this Alien RPG even if they had a licence for AVP

wilhuf

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 17:33

Thomas Härenstam made it clear no Predators in the game in the interview here. I would favor an expansion that includes Predators.

I can't think of a reasonable justification for deliberately blocking Predator inclusion as an expansion for those who do want to play with them. 

Don't like Predators? Don't play with them. But why deliberately exclude Preds from everyone because you dislike them? RPGs are all about player choice. 

It would be like excluding Jar Jar Binks (I can't stand him) from Star Wars FFG. Some players might like Gungans, so let them have Gungans in their game. I wouldn't complain about it though because it doesn't affect me and my games. And I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to actively lobby to exclude Gungans.

Also, revenge nukes.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

aramis

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 20:39

Don't like Predators? Don't play with them. But why deliberately exclude Preds from everyone because you dislike them? RPGs are all about player choice. 
Predator is a separate intellectual property. It would almost certainly require a separate license, and makes more sense as a separate but compatible core should they ever decide to add it.
It would be like excluding Jar Jar Binks (I can't stand him) from Star Wars FFG. Some players might like Gungans, so let them have Gungans in their game. I wouldn't complain about it though because it doesn't affect me and my games. And I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to actively lobby to exclude Gungans.
No, it's not anywhere near that. Jar Jar is part of the Star Wars license, lock, stock, and barrel. 

Predator is not part of the Alien IP. It would require a license of its own. Alien is Ridley Scott; Predator is Jim Thomas and John Thomas (the Thomas Brothers).

Any time Fox licenses something out, they pay a royalty to the creators, and include that amount as part off the license fee. Fox does business as a US corporation, and defaults to US IP law. Which means that, most of the time, they pay royalties to IP creators for IP they control. The royalties are fixed in the initial contract.

When you mix two IP's, you still pay the full royalty to both creators. As a derivative of both IPs, under US law, it's a third IP which requires license from both source IP's. Which means fox has to pay Mr Scott his full fee for an Alien product, and the Thomas Brothers their full fee. 

AVP is thus almost certainly double cost to Fox. They WILL pass it on.

Likewise, there have been other Predator and Aliens crossovers. Judge Dredd has had cross-over comics for both. Don't expect the owners to allow a competing JD line when they just recently licensed a Judge Dredd RPG.. 
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

wilhuf

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 23:17

I'm talking about exclusion based on personal dislike of the IP, not exclusion based on licensing.
I'm not above acknowledging the obvious that yes there's a cost of licensing IPs when producing an RPG based on an IP.

Another reason to include AVP (in addition to Predator) is the M92 grenade launcher—a great weapon found in Aliens V Predator and Aliens V Predator 2 for PC.

All of this—Predators, AVP-related weapons and gear could be home brewed anyway, but if it were done professionally, I'd pay a dollar for that.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

Diego

Tue 30 Jul 2019, 16:27

Thomas Härenstam made it clear no Predators in the game in the interview here. I would favor an expansion that includes Predators.

I can't think of a reasonable justification for deliberately blocking Predator inclusion as an expansion for those who do want to play with them. 

If they stay in a separate expansion and don't take time money or effort away from more Alien content, then sure. However my reason for not wanting them is that history would show us that ones the cross over is done, people start getting on the AvP train and that train nearly always jumps it's track. I'd rather this game stay pure because they it stays on theme and focussed. Which by god we have not seen done correctly in a very very long time.
Alien: Wanderer
https://alienwanderer.obsidianportal.com/
Session 9+ now up

Konungr

Thu 01 Aug 2019, 08:47

Fox owns none of this any more. Disney does. Disney has no problem printing money from a thing that would sell. The idea that Predator wouldn't sell if done with the same care as Alien is just crazy.

Pily

Thu 01 Aug 2019, 17:21

Again if they get a licence for AVP i am sure they can bring a stand alone out for people who like it.

Jhea

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 18:19

Predators DO NOT belong into the Alien Universe.

Every Predator in the Alien Universe is just bad written fanfiction.

Including an alien Skull in the Predator 2 Movie was just an easter egg, not lore.
everything from then just spiraled out of control in comics and 2 bullshit movies that should be wiped from the face of the earth and the memory of mankind all together
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself