darl_loh
Topic Author

Predator?

Mon 27 May 2019, 00:54

Wondering if there are any plans to include Predator in the future?

blaster219

Re: Predator?

Mon 27 May 2019, 11:39

I imagine that's a separate license that would need to be negotiated.

I think read somewhere that they don't have any plans to detail the Predators though.

darl_loh
Topic Author

Mon 27 May 2019, 13:10

Well, here's hoping. Just looking at the pre-order stuff, there is already a lot of really cool detail about the Alien universe. I would love to find out more lore about the Predators. I haven't played yet, but I'm loving the xenomorph enemy mechanics. So, brutal, but also evocative. I'm just imagining the players being stalked by a Predator. It would also be interesting for the crossover thing, playing as group of predators fighting the Aliens...getting to employ special attacks as a player could be a lot of fun.

blaster219

Mon 27 May 2019, 13:39

I imagine there'll be umpteen fan write ups of Predators within a week of the corebook being released :-)

darl_loh
Topic Author

Mon 27 May 2019, 23:44

I supposed truer words have never been spoken... ;)

Konungr

Mon 10 Jun 2019, 09:58

I would prefer they make a separate predator game that matches the themes of the predator movies better. But build it off the same mechanics and systems so that it could be easily integrated if the players wanted to.

Airborne

Wed 12 Jun 2019, 18:00

Michael Tresca made a excellent  D20 rule system for Aliens, Predator, and Terminator, and giving them free on Taliens Tower.  They are quite good and allow for a inter cross of genders. I and my wife go way back, Leading Edge and The Star Beast. We have played so many, all games have things that you enjoy and parts you wish were never printed. Try Micheal Tresca  they are quality.For those who like Predator hunts then these are your toy. particularly animal "Trophies" .     

Xenomrph

Fri 14 Jun 2019, 07:42

I would prefer they make a separate predator game that matches the themes of the predator movies better. But build it off the same mechanics and systems so that it could be easily integrated if the players wanted to.
I think this is a pretty safe idea, the old Aliens/Predator CCG did this with the Terminator game. They were compatible game systems and intentionally designed so you could merge the two, but it wasn't necessary.

That said, I'd love to see Predator stuff.

darl_loh
Topic Author

Fri 14 Jun 2019, 17:21

Hmm, yeah, kind of like how Fantasy Flight did with the different Star Wars game, one playing as Rebels, another as Fringe guys and another as Force users.

But, would you want it set within the same universe?

I would be interested to see how they expand on the ideas and themes of Predator. In particular, I am curious if we might get more insight into where the Predators come from and how they got their tech/built their culture. For instance, the tech the Predators have is so advanced that it would require an entire science/tech/engineering community working on it to create it. But, the bodies of the Predators are animalistic enough. It begs the question of what prompted them to make tech? In the case of humans, from an evolutionary perspective, we became weaker, slower, without claws/teeth, but gained the ability to coordinate better in groups and build tech. However, the Predators seem capable of being powerful hunters with their bodies alone...unless maybe they lived on a planet with some truly horrific beasts, and their increase in intelligence and building of tech was an extended phenotype-style evolutionary arms race against the creatures on their home world. Maybe their tech eventually outstripped their prey on the homeworld, prompting the hunting culture to seek challenge elsewhere.

Konungr

Fri 14 Jun 2019, 19:51

Pred culture is traditionally assumed to have advanced to a point that the tech more or less takes care of itself and requires no expertese to use. Then, instead of the culture degrading into distopian hedonism and nihilism it became instead a culture of show boating and competition. That has been going in that direction for thousands of years with the weak forced to manufacture and maintain what they have but advancment has all together stopped. They now know nothing but the hunt.