Angelman
Topic Author

Stats for Fire Axes (and other melee weapons)

Tue 27 Jul 2021, 19:45

Hey all,

There are some melee ("close combat") weapons in the rulebook, but no expansions of the list in the Colonial Marines Manual (that I can find). I would like to see some stats for more mundane weapons that unfortunate civilians might reach for in a time of crisis. In particular, I need stats for a really vicious fire axe, but I don't feel confident enough with the rules to write some myself.

So, how would people stat, say... fire axes, big-ass wrench, (improvised) spear, chainsaw ('cause of course), common hammer, throwing knife ('cause ninjas), and... nunchakus (just kidding)? :)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".
--David Bowie, I'm Deranged

Angelman
Topic Author

Re: Stats for Fire Axes (and other melee weapons)

Wed 28 Jul 2021, 15:14

Right, I just noticed the foraging table from Hope's Last Day which lists a couple of the items I requested...

So, here goes (with commentary)
FIRE AXE: +0, DMG 2 (i.e., same as a Knife; I would think that this should also have Armor Piercing)
HEAVY TOOL aka. Big-ass Wrench: +1, DMG 1 (i.e. the same as a Blunt Instrument; I thought "Blunt Instrument" was more like a hammer)

Hm... Aren't these weapons too puny, considering that Unarmed Attacks do +0, DMG 1? The Heavy Tool is 1/6 deadlier than punching someone armor-less with your fist? I will probably create a new list at some point for my games.

Perhaps something along these lines (tweaks/upgrades of existing stats in red and brand new items in cursive):
UNARMED ATTACK: +0, DMG 1, Armor Doubling
HEAVY TOOL (1-handed): +1, DMG 1
--LARGE HEAVY TOOL (2-handed): +2, DMG 1
(Combat) KNIFE: +0, DMG 2
--SMALL KNIFE/SWITCHBLADE: +2, DMG 1, Armor Doubling
--LARGE KNIFE/SWORD/KATANA: +1, DMG 2
FIRE AXE/HATCHET (1-handed): +0, DMG 2, Armor Piercing
--LARGE FIRE AXE (2-handed): +1, DMG 2, Armor Piercing
SPEAR (2-handed): +3, DMG 1

Something like that? :) Basically, larger two-handed versions of a thing adds +1 bonus
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Lord Drah'Kan

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 10:10

Considering unarmed attacks, I think it is more realistic if hitting someone with your bare fists does non lethal damage. If someone gets broken, he is just unconscious and no need for a roll on the critical injury table.

Angelman
Topic Author

Thu 29 Jul 2021, 13:36

Considering unarmed attacks, I think it is more realistic if hitting someone with your bare fists does non lethal damage. If someone gets broken, he is just unconscious and no need for a roll on the critical injury table.
Yeah, further limiting unarmed attacks by adding a non-lethal quality might be a good fix. (Also, then one could introduce a Martial Artist type Talent that takes away the limitations, making unarmed attacks lethal again without adding any other bonus)
"And the rain sets in,
it's the Angelman.
I'm deranged".

Grimmshade

Fri 30 Jul 2021, 00:19

The axe looks good, and should definitely have armor piercing.
To me, unarmed still causing criticals at broken is fine. It fits the Alien body horror theme, and in real life people get seriously hurt or killed in fist fights.