Spiraller
Topic Author

Roll20 vs Foundry modules

Sun 21 Mar 2021, 10:14

Price aside, for those who have tried the ALIEN modules on both platforms, of the two, which would you recommend? Thanks.

Praetorian_1974

Re: Roll20 vs Foundry modules

Mon 22 Mar 2021, 16:25

For me, having used both Foundry VTT and Roll 20 for Alien RPG, I much prefer foundry.
Roll 20 is a bit too cliquey and fiddly, and for me setting up the game and testing with a dummy user, I found it really hard to work out what to do and how to get it do do what I wanted, where as the foundry system just works out of the box as it were (accepting there is a bit more set up involved with Foundry, especially if you want to run it on a cloud platform e.g.)

Spiraller
Topic Author

Mon 22 Mar 2021, 16:41

Thanks.

Wolftan

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 16:10

Bought the modules for foundry, but they are not setup correctly, maps are not correctly sized and notes are not linked into maps. Alot of work need s to be done to the modules to get them up and running in foundry.

Spiraller
Topic Author

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 16:28

Bought the modules for foundry, but they are not setup correctly, maps are not correctly sized and notes are not linked into maps. Alot of work need s to be done to the modules to get them up and running in foundry.
Bummer, that's unfortunate.

Kmarak

Fri 16 Apr 2021, 19:23

Hi, Did you use the import script to get the data into Foundry. Also have you read the "How to use this Module" notes? The maps are correctly sized based on the scale on the maps in the books. Only the HLD maps have map pins. The rest of the maps for the have Scene notes.

I developed the Alien system and modules for Foundry so if you have any questions/issues please DM me.
Regards,
Paul.
Last edited by Kmarak on Sat 17 Apr 2021, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.

Spat

Sat 17 Apr 2021, 10:14

I've bought and prepared the Alien modules Destroyer of Worlds, on Roll 20.
I noticed several problems, that took me quite a while to sort :
- Xenomorphs don't have a character sheet. It is perfectly possible to use a character sheet and the 6 tabs available for weapon to deal with different attacks, and it is then easier to handle in combat than just a text description ;
- NPC are not correctly implemented : weapons are badly coded, missing the bonus systematically for example. Some equipments are missing from the NPC sheet, you have to read the scenario carefully to detect it. And some characteristics / Skills are wrong if compared to text describing NPC.
- Maps are exactly the same than in the book, and I think it deserves a bigger map for the interior of North Bastion. Which I did by screen printing the zoomed maps and putting them back in Roll20. This is not difficult to do, and it seems the people paid to implement the scenario should have done it. As a matter of fact they prepared the Dynamic Lighting masks on these particular maps, which are completely useless : small maps means small tokens, so you cannot use them, and neither can you use Dynamic Lighting.

So I had a feeling of quick work, without proofreading by someone knowing Roll20.
The scenario is excellent, but schedule some preparation time !