HamsterOfWrath

Re: Is Aliens: Colonial Marines still considered canon?

Wed 07 Aug 2019, 15:56

I wasn't Colonial Marines biggest fan, aside from its technical difficulties it felt like it was shoehorned into the narrative between Aliens and Alien3 and the magical body swap they managed on Hicks just seemed a bit daft. However, if you want those events incorporated into the background of your Aliens universe, I say go for it.

That said I'm stealing the concept of the Boiler Xenomorph from the Hadleys Hope sewer level by tweaking the Cinematic PDF Xeno rules. It's a bit slower and less elegant than the regular Xeno and is less observant, but it goes off like a great big acid grenade (more so than usual), either because it's been heavily damaged or it commits suicide by rupturing one of its acid sack things. 

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Boiler 

Diego

Wed 07 Aug 2019, 16:55

It's unlikely that the plant at Hadley's Hope would actually wipe the place away. 
It's (quite intentionally) very hard to make a fission power plant go "BOOM!" The best you get is a steam explosion lit from below, and a glowing pool of mixed metal self-heating slag. And radioactive fallout everywhere nearby. 
Yet the massive thermo nuclear explosion we see at the end of Aliens which sends turbulence into space would beg to differ, and how Bishop explains there's going to be a hole the size of Nebraska.

As for Colonial marines, one of the big deals when they did the game was that it had been worked out with Fox that it was going to be canon. However, given the huge disappointment and fan backlash, I think Fox is now just quietly hoping that everyone forgets about it.

What game were we talking about again?

Yuber Okami

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 08:29

They've even taken elements from the unused William Gibson Alien 3 script (recently made into an audio drama) that features HIcks.
They even took the idea of the "monastic space station whose interior is completely made of wood"  (Arceon, page 157) from yet another unused Alien 3 script

wilhuf

Mon 12 Aug 2019, 17:28

It's unlikely that the plant at Hadley's Hope would actually wipe the place away. 
It's (quite intentionally) very hard to make a fission power plant go "BOOM!" The best you get is a steam explosion lit from below, and a glowing pool of mixed metal self-heating slag. And radioactive fallout everywhere nearby. 
Yes, TMI was "contained". 

However, one estimate put Chernobyl at 10 t TNT equivalent nuclear yield. That's very low by nuclear weapons standards, barely noticeable, and it's just one estimate. But it's yield nevertheless. 

I know in my scenarios, those built-by-the-lowest-bidder fission/FUSION reactors are gonna yield like a weapon.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

Tobem

Wed 14 Aug 2019, 10:44

On a tangent- how much of Gibson's Alien 3 is canon in this game? Before I buy the comic book adaptation. I don't like audiobooks. 

Konungr

Wed 14 Aug 2019, 15:27

Alien 3 the movie did happen. Which version of alien 3 happened we are unsure of. But the end result for sure occurred and the surviving prisoner wrote a book that has spread out there in colonized space.

Jhea

Thu 15 Aug 2019, 16:24

On a tangent- how much of Gibson's Alien 3 is canon in this game? Before I buy the comic book adaptation. I don't like audiobooks. 
Alien 3 happened in this game.
the timeline states there was a single survivor from Fury 161 named Morse who wrote a book that became a bestseller - some 70 years ago.
so you know, myth became legend and so on ;)
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

Riggswolfe

Mon 26 Aug 2019, 15:30

Alien 3 happened in this game.
the timeline states there was a single survivor from Fury 161 named Morse who wrote a book that became a bestseller - some 70 years ago.
so you know, myth became legend and so on ;)
70 years? I need ro reread stuff, I thought  the game was only a couple of years after Alien 3.
GZIP: Off