johnpowell6

Helium-3 is not a dangerous cargo. Chlorine Triflouride is a dangerous cargo.

Tue 11 Jun 2019, 18:02

I have a quibble and a suggestion regarding the Alien RPG Cinematic Starter Kit. The scenario states that the PC’s ship is carrying a cargo of “highly flammable helium-3.” Helium-3 is a real thing and like regular helium is the opposite of flammable. I suggest that if you want a dangerous cargo use chlorine triflouride. It is super reactive and can make almost anything burn including tungsten, asbestos, glass, sand, and probably the hull of a ship too. It has all sorts of industrial uses including etching computer chips and processing nuclear fuel and would still likely be in use in 2183. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorine_trifluoride

Cheers!

Xenomrph

Re: Helium-3 is not a dangerous cargo. Chlorine Triflouride is a dangerous cargo.

Fri 14 Jun 2019, 07:56

If you want another dangerous cargo, there's also quinitricetyline as mentioned in 'Alien3'.

wilhuf

Re: Helium-3 is not a dangerous cargo. Chlorine Triflouride is a dangerous cargo.

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 17:48

Tritium (T or 3H) would be a good choice. Radioactive. Relevant to thermonuclear weapons. Sinister. Still retains the 'Three' aspect of He3. 
We're at our safest when we're not working.

Jhea

Sat 03 Aug 2019, 17:45

Well Helium 3 is just a waste product of Tritium in nuclear warheads ^^
and it has MAYBE a use in fusion reactors as substitute for Hydrogen (here Tritium and Deuterium)

but yeah, the only dangerous part about helium 3 is the gasbottle in which the stuff is stored... since it's usually under pressure...
and of course, that you speak funny like mickey mouse ;D

but to be honest, who cares?
just fill in whatever you need for your game.
when i get my hands on this game and play it with my players, there is so much funny stuff i can think of to be put in the cargo hold that makes the players uncomfortable...
and depending on how this game works, i might even make this a longer campaign.
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

wilhuf

Sun 04 Aug 2019, 01:37

I would definitely spray xenomorphs with the stuff. When they make their intimidating screams, they would sound like little mouse squeaks.
We're at our safest when we're not working.

aramis

Sun 04 Aug 2019, 02:29

but yeah, the only dangerous part about helium 3 is the gasbottle in which the stuff is stored... since it's usually under pressure...
It's not just under pressure, but also cryogenic.... a leak is dangerous not for flammability, nor for toxicity, nor even for oxygen displacement... but because it's lethally cold.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...

Jhea

Sun 04 Aug 2019, 13:10

It's not just under pressure, but also cryogenic.... a leak is dangerous not for flammability, nor for toxicity, nor even for oxygen displacement... but because it's lethally cold.
Not really.
That is just a side effect of a gas getting more volume. That's just basic thermodynamics. That's also the reason why deodorant cools your skin when applied.

Helium 3 is not per se cryogenic, but i can be. if stored in a  liquified state in those pressured bottles (like in LPG gastankers) ... then it will certainly be somewhere arround -269°C since it only liqifies at -270... (and here we can ask us the question, why would anyone ever liqify helium... since that takes much more energy to cool and keep cool in order to not have the pressure bottles explode when the helium is not cooled any more... (we know, gases tend to increase in volume with higher temperatures))
I don't need a fancy signature quote from some dude, everything i say is pure gold! ~ myself

aramis

Sun 04 Aug 2019, 20:15

Not really.
That is just a side effect of a gas getting more volume. That's just basic thermodynamics. That's also the reason why deodorant cools your skin when applied.

Helium 3 is not per se cryogenic, but i can be. if stored in a  liquified state in those pressured bottles (like in LPG gastankers) ... then it will certainly be somewhere arround -269°C since it only liqifies at -270... (and here we can ask us the question, why would anyone ever liqify helium... since that takes much more energy to cool and keep cool in order to not have the pressure bottles explode when the helium is not cooled any more... (we know, gases tend to increase in volume with higher temperatures))
Liquifying it reduces transpiration through the container walls. 
Even as a cryogenic gas, it's still going to be lethally cold.
—————————————————————————
Smith & Wesson: the original point and click interface...
GZIP: Off