autobahnmessiah

The Space Jockeys

Thu 09 May 2019, 12:23

My biggest question is how the game will handle the space jockeys. Will they be the "Mala'kak" or "Ossians" from the (non-canon) expanded universe, or the (booooring) engineers of Prometheus and Covenant? Or will they be something else? Something new?

Byrax

Re: The Space Jockeys

Thu 09 May 2019, 21:28

I would prefer the original feeling from the first movie - shit, the ‘space jockey’ is fossilized - must be millions of years old! From where, what is it, how the hell did it end up here, why the cargo?

No backstory - just an enigma that has enthralled me and million others for close to 40 years (at least until Promotheus and Covenant - no love there).

Umberto Octo

Thu 09 May 2019, 23:47

I would prefer the original feeling from the first movie - shit, the ‘space jockey’ is fossilized - must be millions of years old! From where, what is it, how the hell did it end up here, why the cargo?

No backstory - just an enigma that has enthralled me and million others for close to 40 years (at least until Promotheus and Covenant - no love there).
Echo this twice. I like the mystery of the fossil and dislike the buff white guy engineers. For me, Lovecraft did the human species from a petri dish far better and the harsh bleakness of space presented in Alien is diminished by the let's-explain-everything Engineer backstory.

But I'm also one for take-what-you-want-and-leave-the-rest method of gaming. Throw it in, I can ignore it if i want.  8-)
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

Deep_Impact

Fri 10 May 2019, 07:15

As they said in the interviews, Prometheus and Covenant are canon, but Alien 1-3 are the focus.

I would guess, that the existence of the engineers is not common knownledge for space trucker, colonial marines or colonist. So it's quite unimportant for the story. Maybe you could explore ancient ruins like the pyramid in the first AvP movie, but the true history behind these buildings would be hidden in darkness.

AlexanderMars

Wed 05 Jun 2019, 14:03

I will happily jump on this train.

I personally agree that the Promethean humanoids are basically lame and detract from the deeper mystery of the first film. Replacing it with some nonsensical drivel answering questions no one asked and wrapping it all up in a clumsy faux enigma(I blame Damon Lindelof for Prometheus failings).

My hope is that due to Licensing issues we won’t see the Prometheus Dummies(my own derogatory title for them, engineers sounds too good, and they seem incapable of verbal communication) in any official capacity. I would encourage you to present the space jockeys however you want them to be in your games. Mine will always be ancient, extinct and fossilised. Anything that keeps the setting dark and immersed in lovecraftian existential horror gets to stay.
GZIP: Off