Derek_Smyk

Initiative Clarification Needed

Sun 02 Jun 2019, 14:25

Reading over the entries for Close Combat, Ranged Combat, and Initiative, I'm finding the rules a bit confusing the way they're currently presented

- Close Combat says you can use a stunt to trade Initiative scores. This is a really clever way to use a Stunt. No problems here!
- Ranged Combat says you can use a stunt to "redraw" your Initiative score. This could use some clarification. Are you redrawing from just the unused Initiative cards? Is everybody shuffling their cards back in and drawing again? This could use some clarification.
- On page 53, under "Changing the Initiative," it says you never draw a new Initiative card during a fight, but you can exchange yours with another player. Great... except this seems to contradict the Ranged Combat rule, which seems to indicate you can sometimes redraw!

Deep_Impact

Re: Initiative Clarification Needed

Sun 02 Jun 2019, 17:50

It's a general rule of every RPG I know, that specific rules break general rules.

So in general you won't draw another ini-card, but if a skill, talent or stunt rule, that you might it's legit.

Redraw a card in ranges combat is a little poker game.

If you have a 3 and a 1,4 and 10 for the PCs and 6 for Mother or on the table you shouldn't use this stunt, take something else.

If you have a 7 in the same situation, it could be a wise move. (2,3,5,8,9 possible - 60% of getting better than Mother)

Derek_Smyk

Sun 02 Jun 2019, 18:18

That does seem to make sense, and is what I'd probably go with myself. I'm just hoping fro some official clarification. It warms my hear to see so many people on Facebook, etc. saying this is their first RPG/first non-d20 RPG, etc., and want the game to be as clear as it can be for everyone's sake. : )

paolorob

Mon 03 Jun 2019, 13:24

- Ranged Combat says you can use a stunt to "redraw" your Initiative score. This could use some clarification. Are you redrawing from just the unused Initiative cards? Is everybody shuffling their cards back in and drawing again? This could use some clarification.
I'm inlcined to think that "redraw" on page 41 is an editing error. The same phrasing is used on page 62, but instead of "redraw" now there is "exchange [...] with your enemy", that seems more consistent with page 53.

Page 41: "You position yourself and get to redraw your initiative score (see page 53), taking effect next turn. You can’t go back to your earlier initiative."
Page 62: "You position yourself and get to exchange your initiative score (see page 53) with your enemy, taking effect next turn. You can’t go back to your earlier initiative."

Deep_Impact

Mon 03 Jun 2019, 14:14

Sounds right, to be honest.

I took a look at Forbidden Lands to see how it was handled there, but FL only knows feinting (exchanging cards) in close combat and nothing simular in ranged combat.

Only exchanging cards with MPC (Mothers Player Characters) would be much more calucatable.
Especially if there are talents like "Lightning Fast" or the like in the final version.

CynicalMo

Thu 06 Jun 2019, 22:47

Jumping in on initiative clarification...
I didn't see but I might have missed it. What order does everyone draw initiative? I imagine GM goes last but is there a stat that would determine draw order?

Fenhorn

Thu 06 Jun 2019, 23:17

Jumping in on initiative clarification...
I didn't see but I might have missed it. What order does everyone draw initiative? I imagine GM goes last but is there a stat that would determine draw order?
The players can (usually) swap initiative card with each other, but other than that, it is GM discretion. But personally I deal cards to the players first and NPC/monsters second.
“I’d say thistles, but nobody listens to me, anyway.” - Eeyore
GZIP: Off