jonathanpay

Re: Alien take on MYZ-engine

Mon 13 May 2019, 12:11

Only mildly disappointed at the lack of Predators, but that is both understandable and totally acceptable.

Stress mechanics sounds like a bit like what's in Mothership (I've had only a quick glance at it).
Christian. Husband. Father. Antipodean. Egalitarian. Cinephile. Boardgame and ttrpg enthusiast. Jack-of-all-trades. World's first second-generation email geek.

Faie

Tue 14 May 2019, 19:44

Sounds wonderful. I have been looking forward to something like this forever.
I got Coriolis at me birthday some months ago, just to have some good rules for space travelling to be able to create some sort of Alien stories. Now this shows up, it made me so happy.
So glad that predator isn't in the core books and setting.

I really hope that Alien isn't just depicted as some "mindless monsters" for PC to avoid or just kill mission. I really hope there will be chunks of stories about the Alien as a race, how they communicate, live, what drives them etc (of course each storyteller and group can set that up for them self) that make Alien so much more interesting. I imagine that this beauties will not be playable as core setting. But it would be nice with ideas, takes and such about the Aliens that could be a nice foundation for those gaming groups that would like to turn the table around. Living on a planet and having this strange alien race (human) coming and intruder life and force the Aliens to protect their home and queen :)

Bengt Petter

Sat 18 May 2019, 15:15

I would like to know, also from a rules point of view, what it means to work for The Weyland Yutani Company (and potentially other companies and organizations). Probably it usually means some kind of contract (perhaps there are four standard contracts), a salary, certain equipment and other benefits, but also a personal network with relationships within the company. It can be done as both a personal back story, but combined with talents or other resources of some sort. Of course, working for a company like Weyland Yutani, is potentially also very problematic. There might some really nasty contracts, a mean employer or some dangerous secrets from previous missions. Stuff like that can be included in the rules. Or made to plot hooks. 

And if it´s not possible to play as androids, it´s not really a complete ALIEN setting to me. I want to know what makes androids special, and how the various models differ from each other. Androids probably have more specific (programmed) agendas. Perhaps it should also be possible, at least as a rare exception, to play as an AI. I just imagine, it could be a cool gaming situation to have a MOTHER or a FATHER who is everywhere in a ship (the ship itself is the body of the AI, I guess), but still a being who must make his or her personal decisions. The HAL 9000 is a fascinating example. AI:s can be very powerful, but vulnerable too. Imagine dealing with a potential virus – is it there or not?   

Deep_Impact

Sun 19 May 2019, 12:42

And if it´s not possible to play as androids, it´s not really a complete ALIEN setting to me. 
But it is possible, as you see here.

Bengt Petter

Sun 19 May 2019, 16:21

And if it´s not possible to play as androids, it´s not really a complete ALIEN setting to me. 
OK, fine. But the question is still: HOW should this be done? I mentioned a few ideas above and in another post in the Setting section.

lupex

Sun 19 May 2019, 21:54

OK, fine. But the question is still: HOW should this be done? I mentioned a few ideas above and in another post in the Setting section.
I'm sure all will be revealed when the game is released.
YZE Bestiary - https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/320924/The-Servants-of-Memory

My Blog - https://is-it-a-monster.blogspot.com/

Instant Session - https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

Monsters - https://perchance.org/fl-monster-generator

K Peterson

Wed 22 May 2019, 18:15

What is your hopes for the MYZ-engine in Alien RPG ? What features should be added and what could the currency (Coriolis darkness points or MYZ mutation points) be used to activate?
I've not played the MYZ-engine, but the hope I had was that Alien didn't use meta-currency. I'm not a fan of those types of mechanics, and it appears they're not present based on one of the podcast interviews. 

I'm excited by the other mechanical details that have come out. 

Deep_Impact

Wed 22 May 2019, 18:49

Just three more days till christmas!!!

https://mailchi.mp/859b692f7762/pre-ord ... art-may-25

Umberto Octo

Wed 22 May 2019, 18:56

Just three more days till christmas!!!
Oooo. This wrapped gift is shaped like an American football... wonder what it could—aiiiiiiiiiiiii ghk!
"Se til helvete å komme dere vekk. Det er ikke en bikkje! Det er en slags TING!
Det imiterer en bikkje. Det er ikke virkelig! Kom dere vekk, IDIOTER!"

wilhuf

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 00:04

Just heard the Mud & Blood Interview (first 50 minutes)

Characters:
  • Androids are possible as PC (Xenomorphs are not. ;) )
Deep_Impact, thank you for posting the link to the interview with Thomas Härenstam. After listening to it, I cannot conclude that players can not play as Xenomorphs.  Firstly, Thomas was hesitant to answer the question about Player-controlled Xenormorphs. Secondly, Thomas said that while the default mode is that players would not play as Xenomorphs, he also said there are variants on that default

I'm hopeful players could play as xenos.
We're at our safest when we're not working.