somnambulant
Topic Author

Double Agent

Wed 13 Nov 2019, 22:20

My players and I (the GM) find the wording of the Revealing the Double Agent rules  (on page 24) a little ambiguous.

Specifically in the "Results:", after everyone has voted.

The XP rewarded seems to be: either three people get an additional XP or nobody gets an additional XP. This rewards the team for picking someone (anyone) to be guilty. Is that correct? 
(the alternate interpretation that my group has is: any number up to three people can get the additional XP, as long as they guessed correctly who the actual double agent was, this rewards clever/attentive players)

I think if someone could answer this question, or at least tell us what the intent was, it would solve the ambiguity for us.

Thanks so much! Just had our first session last night, and it was a blast. The Epidemic was a fun Incident.

Cheers

Fenhorn

Re: Double Agent

Wed 13 Nov 2019, 22:47

This is based on the Swedish rulebook. I don't know if anything has changed.

If we assume that we have four players. Only one can be a double agent. He can earn two extra xp if the incident fails and he is not revealed as a double agent.

To reveal a double agent, the players needs to accuse someone (the double agent voting at the end of the incident). If three of the four players vote for the same player, then he is accused to be a double agent. If that player really is a double agent, then the three players earn an xp. If the accused player was not a double agent, then, well, he is still accused so he will get fined (or worse) but the three accusing players will not get any xp (since the reveal double agent player wasn't revealed).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

somnambulant
Topic Author

Wed 13 Nov 2019, 23:01

Okay, so that would confirm the first interpretation of the rules. Either three PCs get the additional XP for revealing the true double agent, or none do.

Thanks. (I'm open to other opinions, but since this was how I interpreted the rule as well, I'll probably go with it.)

DruidGamer

Wed 20 Nov 2019, 13:42

If I am reading the response correctly, it’s not “3 players get the xp” but “the other players get the xp” (in the event you have more than 4 players total).

Fenhorn

Wed 20 Nov 2019, 13:50

If I am reading the response correctly, it’s not “3 players get the xp” but “the other players get the xp” (in the event you have more than 4 players total).
Actually now when I'm thinking about it, the correct way of seeing this is - all players belong to the three accusing families get xp. This because I have just realized that if you have more than four players, it can be so that two players can act as double agents. This can happen if they belong to the same family. Playing Elysium with a large crowd will certainly complicate things.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore