JaskoGomad
Topic Author

Recommended order?

Sat 20 Jul 2019, 18:21

So I got my copy of Elysium, and it's great.
I now have all 4 of the Mutant games and haven't gotten to run any of them yet.
Given that I'd like to run the campaign included in each setting and then a mixed one (possibly Grey Death), what's the recommended order?
Is it publication order? Or should I start with Elysium and then GA because those two are explicitly connected?
Now that all four options are here, is there a way it's meant to be done?

Fenhorn

Re: Recommended order?

Sat 20 Jul 2019, 18:43

You should play Genlab Alpha before Elysium since Elysium can spoil Genlab Alpha. Other than that it is not that important. But since MY0 is the base game and all of the Zone Compendiums are written for it a good order to play everything is:

Genlab Alpha Campaign
Mechatron Campaign
Elysium Campaign

MY0 Campaign.
ZC1 Lair of the Saurians
ZC2 Dead Blue Sea
ZC3 Die Meateater Die (this assumed that the animals have come to the Zone (that you have finished the Genlab Alpha campaign).
ZC4 The Eternal War (one of the special sectors in this one extends the Mechatron campaign, the other three assumed that you have finished the Mechatron campaign).
ZC5 Hotel Imperator
The Grey Death (you should have finished the Elysium Campaign and also Hotel Imperator before starting this since otherwise events in those can be spoiled.).

What we did was that we played a little bit of MY0, took a paus, played GA, went back to MY0 (the players had to choose which character to play). But we did it that way because the expansions was not done yet then, duh).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

JaskoGomad
Topic Author

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 18:07

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for!

Akumakaji

Mon 19 Apr 2021, 02:58

I guess thats the order that most groups will play it, with the little modification that I think most will start with their first Mutant campaign. It makes sorta sense, because Mutant is the baseline and introduces the setting in its best way, I think. And while playing as Mutants, you can have Animals and Robots show up once or twice. I wouldn't introduce the Elysium people fully yet, but maybe let them stumble over a Mutant or Robot squad that was gunned down by gauss rifles and hint at one of the titan powers on the move.

After the Mutant, Genelab, Mechatron AND Elysium metaplot campaign, I am not sure how to do the endgame (Grey Death) effectively. Ideally I would love to have my players form a group of one of each of the four playable factions, unlikely allies how meet and respect each other and who could see beyond petty factionism at the bigger picture and get stuff done. Maybe someone remembers the first Gothic PC game, where the main character makes one such friend in each of the three major factions, and together they pool ressources, intel and news, and eventually save the day.