Valyar

Awarding XP

Mon 29 Apr 2019, 22:38

The core rule book is brief on guidance how much XP to award depending on what kind of progress I am aiming for my group (considering they manage to cover all planned scenes that grant XP). It is also now clear what scene is worth XP and what is not. 
So far I have read the Core Rulebook  and Advanced Player’s Guide and except many rules that use experience as currency nothing much. :)

Any guidance from the mor experienced game masters?

paulbaldowski

Re: Awarding XP

Fri 28 Jun 2019, 22:22

I posted some ideas on awarding and spending Experience Points on The Iron Pact.

Valyar

Sat 29 Jun 2019, 13:13

I posted some ideas on awarding and spending Experience Points on The Iron Pact.
Thanks, good ideas and way to make players spending XP. Soon I will start the Copper Crown trilogy and I plan to introduce the core rules in chapter 1 and open the advanced rules in session 2 and 3. This will allow the players (who are quite fast to learn new systems) to spend XP and get used to the idea of spending XP for things other than advancement.

Paladin

Mon 15 Jul 2019, 22:59

I am also confused by this... how many experience points to award. For instance, wrath of the warden recommends that characters should have amassed around 50xp before starting the campaign, and recommends using characters that have been through 'the mark of the beast'.

There's no where near 50 scenes in mark of the beast. Maybe a dozen or so max. So for that adventure should we be awarding the 10 or so, one for each scene, or more?should

Any advice appreciated!

bithir

Tue 16 Jul 2019, 00:23

Re-post from a similar post that I made on Reddit:
I've been giving out 4 xp per session, with each session being about 4 hours. I then usually give a boost at the end of each adventure (6-10 xp, pending complexity). It has worked very well for us.

We are heavily on the role play, and significant parts of the adventures are usually (unplanned) interactions between npc/player, player/player, player/environment and very little spent in actual combat. With heavy roleplay (and additional scenes for backstories), the promised land took us just over 12 hours to go through (3 sessions), for a total of 18 xp (4 per session plus 6 for completion). So my promised land gave a lot more than 8 xp and took significantly more than 4 hours - but it also had more scenes, which is easy as two of my players have the arch-enemy burden.

I'm not planning on docking players xp for "slow rolling" - as long as there is plenty of role play involved and character progression, I see no reason why I would - it is all about character growth.  It has happened more than once that I left the room for a quick toilet break, and when I come back, my players are still acting out their characters interactions between themselves (and not even realising I left the room for a couple of minutes)

In retrospect, I could probably have standardised on 3 xp per session and it would have been fine.
GZIP: Off