EarthBowser

Re: Errata and Clarifications

Sun 16 Jun 2019, 19:10

Hello!

I just received my copy of the game yesterday, and my friends and I were able to get a game in last night.  We loved it, but several rules questions did come up that I couldn't find the answers to.

Crusades -
Does the game end immediately upon reaching Jerusalem (spot 10), or does the crusade card that was used for the crusade action fully resolve its event first?  There was a situation where the player who played the crusade card that reached Jerusalem had the event that would have removed a coat of arms from the track and added his own in its place which would have moved the Crusade achievement from that player to him if the event was allowed to resolve before the game ended.

When setting up the game, it seems that you normally place the crusade traits along the crusade track's 9 spaces.  There was also a 10th crusade trait (Pious) that did not appear to go anywhere.  Is that one just not used?  (I figured it might be used in a different scenario)

Succession -
Do bastards inherent like normal children?

Does a marriage that puts a child onto another player's family board take that character out of my line of succession?  So if, for some reason, I were to marry my first son to another dynasty and he moves to their board, is he no longer my heir?  

When you marry a child off to another dynasty, do you move the rest of your children over on your own board to fill their space (if I marry off Child 2, does Child 3 now become Child 2)?  Can you then have more children to fill the empty spaces (when it says you cannot have more than 3 children, does that just mean currently on your family board)?  

If you marry off a duke or duchess to another dynasty, I assume that their titles are automatically revoked?

Pacts and War -
Does a divorce or the death of a spouse end a pact that was created from that marriage?

If you are in a pact with two warring dynasties (you have a pact with dynasty A and Dynasty B, who are at war with each other), and one wants to use your support against the other, do you then have to decide which pact to break?  Either letting Dynasty A use your support which would break the pact with dynasty B, and give them a casus belli against you, or refusing the support and breaking the pact with Dynasty A which would give them a casus belli against you?

Does going to war remove the casus belli that you had with that dynasty or does it remain?  

Is marriage the only way to end a war?  I couldn't find any other way for wars to end in the rule book.

Marriage ends war or casus belli and forms a pact with the dynasty of the marriage.  Can you then later get a casus belli with that dynasty?  Can you have both a pact and a casus belli with the same dynasty?

Tomas
Site Admin

Mon 17 Jun 2019, 12:57

Hello!

I just received my copy of the game yesterday, and my friends and I were able to get a game in last night.  We loved it, but several rules questions did come up that I couldn't find the answers to.

Crusades -
Does the game end immediately upon reaching Jerusalem (spot 10), or does the crusade card that was used for the crusade action fully resolve its event first?  There was a situation where the player who played the crusade card that reached Jerusalem had the event that would have removed a coat of arms from the track and added his own in its place which would have moved the Crusade achievement from that player to him if the event was allowed to resolve before the game ended.

When setting up the game, it seems that you normally place the crusade traits along the crusade track's 9 spaces.  There was also a 10th crusade trait (Pious) that did not appear to go anywhere.  Is that one just not used?  (I figured it might be used in a different scenario)

Succession -
Do bastards inherent like normal children?

Does a marriage that puts a child onto another player's family board take that character out of my line of succession?  So if, for some reason, I were to marry my first son to another dynasty and he moves to their board, is he no longer my heir?  

When you marry a child off to another dynasty, do you move the rest of your children over on your own board to fill their space (if I marry off Child 2, does Child 3 now become Child 2)?  Can you then have more children to fill the empty spaces (when it says you cannot have more than 3 children, does that just mean currently on your family board)?  

If you marry off a duke or duchess to another dynasty, I assume that their titles are automatically revoked?

Pacts and War -
Does a divorce or the death of a spouse end a pact that was created from that marriage?

If you are in a pact with two warring dynasties (you have a pact with dynasty A and Dynasty B, who are at war with each other), and one wants to use your support against the other, do you then have to decide which pact to break?  Either letting Dynasty A use your support which would break the pact with dynasty B, and give them a casus belli against you, or refusing the support and breaking the pact with Dynasty A which would give them a casus belli against you?

Does going to war remove the casus belli that you had with that dynasty or does it remain?  

Is marriage the only way to end a war?  I couldn't find any other way for wars to end in the rule book.

Marriage ends war or casus belli and forms a pact with the dynasty of the marriage.  Can you then later get a casus belli with that dynasty?  Can you have both a pact and a casus belli with the same dynasty?
Hello!

Crusades:
  • Yes, the action is fully resolved before the event occurs, meaning that the game ends before the event happens.
  • The black-rimmed Pious token is a leftover that's no longer needed, feel free to disregard it. :)
Succession:
  • Yes, bastards inherit normally.
  • Yes, if you marry off a child, he/she is no longer a member of your dynasty (this is a simplification of reality of course, but needed for gameplay). So yes, it also frees up space for more children on your family board.
  • Yes, if you marry of a duke/duchess, they lost their title as they are no longer part of your dynasty.
Pacts:
  • No, pacts remain even after the death of the spouse.
  • Yes, if you give support to A against B, B gets casus belli against you and your pact with B is broken.
  • Being At War is separate status from Casus Belli, so the token is moved to At War.
  • Technically yes, you need a Pact to end the At War status. However, you don't need to attack each other even if you are formally At War.
  • Yes, you can get casus belli against a dynasty with which you have a Pact, but then the Pact is broken. At any given time, you can have no more than one of the three statuses with another dynasty: Pact, Casus Belli, At War
Fria Ligan

Norpa76

Wed 19 Jun 2019, 14:51

Hi!

Page 16 says that "No single player can ever have more than four Dynasty Shields on the Crusade Track at any one time."
What happens if you succeed fifth time on Crusade, by event or using archbishop? Can you move one of the Dynasty Shield of your choise on the Crusade Track?

Tomas
Site Admin

Wed 19 Jun 2019, 15:32

Hi!

Page 16 says that "No single player can ever have more than four Dynasty Shields on the Crusade Track at any one time."
What happens if you succeed fifth time on Crusade, by event or using archbishop? Can you move one of the Dynasty Shield of your choise on the Crusade Track?
Yes.
Fria Ligan

AkatsukiEmpire

Thu 20 Jun 2019, 00:35

I have a question about the extra starting trait tokens. What do we do with them? Are they placed in the random trait bag as well?

Fenhorn

Thu 20 Jun 2019, 00:45

I have a question about the extra starting trait tokens. What do we do with them? Are they placed in the random trait bag as well?
Starting Trait Tokens are only used for your starting characters (king, children and siblings), the remaining can be put aside. Only Random Trait Tokens are put in the General Trait Bag.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

AkatsukiEmpire

Thu 20 Jun 2019, 02:14

Thanks for the reply. I have another question. In war, Is there a way to stop being at war? Or does it stop when a player is removed from the map?

Acheddarmonk
Topic Author

Thu 20 Jun 2019, 04:39

Thanks for the reply. I have another question. In war, Is there a way to stop being at war? Or does it stop when a player is removed from the map?
Wars can be ended a few ways. When one of your family member marries one of their family members, the war ends and a pact is formed. There are also cards that can cause a war to end as well.

AkatsukiEmpire

Thu 20 Jun 2019, 05:21

Ok then. I haven't looked at the events in the cards yet so I didn't know that. Another question: What is the use for the pious trait on the crusade track (the one with the black outline)? Is it a holdover from the removed rule of the pious trait giving victory points?

Fenhorn

Thu 20 Jun 2019, 05:46

Ok then. I haven't looked at the events in the cards yet so I didn't know that. Another question: What is the use for the pious trait on the crusade track (the one with the black outline)? Is it a holdover from the removed rule of the pious trait giving victory points?
Tomas answered this above:

viewtopic.php?f=82&p=37628#p37541
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore