Addramyr

Re: Why play a caster?

Fri 14 Jan 2022, 22:02

Magic is also extremely strong! Most spells completely ignore armour etc and just deals direct damage and can kill or incapacitate a foe immediately.

And like said ready, magic users can wear armour, and fight like anyone else can. They can take all the general talents and so on.
One example from a a game I ran a few months ago:

The party encounters a sea serpent, which is insanely powerful (18 STR!). Both the fighter and the rogue tries to damage it, but it has 5 armor and they can't get through it. The sorceror casts STUN (a 1st level Stone Song spell) and breaks the beast in a single turn by doing 3 agility damage.

Without that spell, they certainly wouldn't been able to boast about it.

Trust me, friend. Magic IS powerful in that game.

JohanR

Fri 14 Jan 2022, 23:22

Stun. Page 135: "No effect against monsters."
As a house rule I would allow it though, but doing Strength damage instead to them.

inrepose

Sat 12 Feb 2022, 17:20

I felt this on reading the rules. However, to work through it I would give the caster lots of research and knowledge based opportunities. Anything to get them pushing rolls which were outside of combat and full on combat siutations. I suppose the argument might be that they are spending longer and pushing harder to read books and uncover dark secrets which creates the stress and willpower required to tap into for spells. I think others have said spells do hurt when they hit and you can fight/use armour. So it's not like you are super weak in the face of adversity.

I do agree though, it's an odd break from the concept of keeping rolls to a minimum when you actually need to push for it.

silverfoxdmt73

Tue 15 Feb 2022, 15:27

I do agree though, it's an odd break from the concept of keeping rolls to a minimum when you actually need to push for it.

But then all Kin and Profession talents require Willpower Points to work, so it's not entirely out of the norm... It's just a Druid or Sorcerer's form of Profession talents. And they have access to more of them compared to the other Professions.

Also, the OP spoke of having to 'fail' at things to gather WP, but of course, that's not entirely the case as you can still get Successes as well as rolling Banes when you Push, so not really failing, but actually showing a mechanical effect for the extra effort you put into the task at hand - which I feel is exactly what Pushing is all about.