Widowmemer
Topic Author

Ghost damaging necromancy spell

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 10:54

[MILD SPOILERS AHEAD]
Hello, since in the upcoming session(s) our group is going to explore the Spire of Quetzel (don't spoiler the site please) and from what we know a powerful ghost haunts the place I would like some input to create a ghost damaging spell for my necromancer(wolfkin path of undeath 3/symbolism 1); the only party member that could probably hurt it is our blood sorcerer(he obtained the fire magic) and we have no druids(we could probably hire one, but still). I was thinking about a spell that damages wits, but that would just be druid's "undead purge" with a different attribute damage, not very original. Thanks in advance for any input!

JohanR

Re: Ghost damaging necromancy spell

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 13:21

Well if you meet a Ghost, you could always use "Raise the Dead" to take control over it.
If you know anything a ghost is vulnerable to (not naming anything to avoid any spoilers), you could now perhaps easily kill it with that?
Or if you manage to figure this out then perhaps you would not even need magic?
Note that sometimes you might need more than just damage to keep monsters from coming back (trying to avoid too much spoilers here).

If you absolutely need to expand your spells, I created a spell for this, specifically to allow necromancers access to a spell to be able to wound all things.
It might not be exactly as the other damage spells, but that is mostly because I didn't want all spells to look the same.
It is named Bane Blade and can be found on page 90, here.
But do note that by expanding magical knowledge like this, without adding any costs, i.e. like giving players lots of new spells "for free", might unbalance things in favor for spell casters.

Widowmemer
Topic Author

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 13:42

Well if you meet a Ghost, you could always use "Raise the Dead" to take control over it.
From my understanding it's still a 6hrs ritual, and unless the ghost is someway immobilized I doubt he'll take the spell willingly.
If you know anything a ghost is vulnerable to (not naming anything to avoid any spoilers), you could now perhaps easily kill it with that?
Or if you manage to figure this out then perhaps you would not even need magic?
Note that sometimes you might need more than just damage to keep monsters from coming back (trying to avoid too much spoilers here).
Probably I know one of it's weaknesses, not completely sure, but yeah, I tend to think too much in a "classic" blast-the-enemy way. [PELAGIA SPOILER] If I managed to resolve the coffin riddle I hopeI can figure out as much for this site ahah. Thanks for the input!

JohanR

Tue 31 Aug 2021, 15:11

Ah, yes you are right, it is a ritual, and would not work anyways.. I guess, as now when I read up on it, it only works on "restless undead" and it is likley that ghosts do not fall into this category.