Bonzzo15
Topic Author

Reagents for spells

Tue 15 Jun 2021, 12:54

Let’s say a Stone singer blows in a horn or plays the drums to help with spell casting, is that item completely destroyed?

Fenhorn

Re: Reagents for spells

Tue 15 Jun 2021, 13:25

The rules say:
Once the spell is cast, the ingredient has been spent and cannot be used again to cast spells.
Technically this doesn't mean that the ingredient used is destroyed, just that it cannot be used to cast spells with again. So using a horn as an ingredient when for a spell (like Stun) will not destroy the horn, but it will make it a horn that can't be used as an ingredient. For some ingredients you just remove it, like a Piece of Chalk, Iron Filings or a Piece of Cloth, because they don't matter much in the game other than as ingredients and are hardly worth anything, but a horn is worth something so here the players may have to make a note that it is magically burned out. Perhaps over time the horn can be used again as an ingredient.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Jizmack

Tue 15 Jun 2021, 22:39

The way I interpreted the ingredients rule in the case of usable objects, like a musical instrument, is that it gets damaged during spell casting. It cannot be reused, unless repaired.
…just my opinion…

Fenhorn

Tue 15 Jun 2021, 22:42

The way I interpreted the ingredients rule in the case of usable objects, like a musical instrument, is that it gets damaged during spell casting. It cannot be reused, unless repaired.
…just my opinion…
That is probably the easiest way of handling it.

Bonzzo15
Topic Author

Wed 16 Jun 2021, 21:11

…just my opinion…
That is probably the easiest way of handling it.
Could have sworn I read it (at least in the Swedish version) as explicitly stating destroyed, which would make sense as well. The force of the blowing of the horn made it vibrate till it burst or something like that. But I like the repairable version.

pellejones

Wed 23 Jun 2021, 12:49

We rule it as being destroyed (consumed by the magic).

robh

Wed 23 Jun 2021, 13:22

Likewise.
Simplest solution.

Fenhorn

Wed 23 Jun 2021, 14:04

Likewise.
Simplest solution.
One of the players actually become a spell-caster in our last session and we agreed that for small tiny items we use the resource rule. So for things like 'Piece of Chalk' or 'Iron Filings' the player have d6, d8, d10 or d12 steps of it and roll each time the use it. Other items, like amulets or crystal balls, are individual items (we went through each spell and decided what is what). Items that are used are destroyed. Worked fine.