froggymojo
Topic Author

New campaign supplement?

Sun 09 May 2021, 20:23

I vaguely remember a new campaign supplement, much like Raven's Purge and The Bitter Reach, was in-development ; from memory, this one was going to focus on Aslene, the devastated region to the West of the Ravenland. Did I get that right, and if so, do we know when this product may see the day?

I absolutely adore this product line and have gotten my hands on all things related thus far. As someone who is 'old school' (RPGing for about 30 years now!), I applaud the work Free League has done with Forbidden Lands. From game mechanics to product design, this is phenomenal work. Please do not stop!

Fenhorn

Re: New campaign supplement?

Sun 09 May 2021, 22:57

Yes, Erik Granström is writing it and has come a long way with it if I understand it correctly. I don't think FL have mentioned a time table for it yet or if it will be pre-order or kickstarter. We have to wait and see. FL have an update stream every last Wednesday of the month on their Youtube channel. That could be something to look into every now and then.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

froggymojo
Topic Author

Tue 11 May 2021, 01:45

Much appreciated and eagerly awaiting this new supplement... ;)

Mr Oldtimer

Tue 11 May 2021, 07:18

I recall hearing whispers about new setting materials a while back. A monster compendium? Is there any news about setting/rules/magic? New campaigns and new regions sounds awesome but I’d love more core content as well.
It would be nice to know what FL has in store for us, or rather, what they want to FBL to look like in the future. A new campaign every two years or... more?
I know FL has a lot of games in the works and I have a few of them but I don’t want new games all the time, I want to expand on the ones I have.

Morgoth

Wed 12 May 2021, 23:52

Will this new supplement have more spells, like The Bitter Reach did?

Lack of more spells is my main complaint with this game, the lists in the core were ridiculously small and not very useful, especially for the Sorcerer. The Bitter Reach helped a bit with the Elemental tradition, but not by much. I would like a lot more, especially utility spells that can be useful in a long term campaign and allow for different types of mages (the devious court sorcerer, the cunning adventurer mage, the wise old wizard, the crazed cabalist, etc)

Another thing we could use is rules/spells for demon summoning and summoning different types of horrific abominations.

Ideally a separate magic book would be great, for both Sorcerer's and Druids detailing spells, unique talents, items and equipment, and weird creatures they can conjure. Preferably a single book for each class to better represent their separate magical traditions.

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 13 May 2021, 09:18

Yes.

And a monster compendium...

Brior

Thu 13 May 2021, 19:05

I can confirm that work indeed is underway both with the Aslene expansion and with a monster compendium since I'm engaged in both projects. The Aslene expansion, which is pretty complete, will contain new magic, new beasts, new maps, new terrain challenges and also a new campaign the might be named something like ”The Legacy of Horn” (Swedish working title: ”Eldens astra”). The Legacy of Horn will be connected to Raven's Purge, but may also be played without having completed the previous campaign.

While I can't promise anything since I work for but not at Free League, I'd say you might expect a kickstarter end-of-summerish.

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 13 May 2021, 19:33

I can confirm that work indeed is underway both with the Aslene expansion and with a monster compendium since I'm engaged in both projects. The Aslene expansion, which is pretty complete, will contain new magic, new beasts, new maps, new terrain challenges and also a new campaign the might be named something like ”The Legacy of Horn” (Swedish working title: ”Eldens astra”). The Legacy of Horn will be connected to Raven's Purge, but can also be played without having completed the previous campaign.

While I can't promise anything since I work for but not at Free League, I'd say you might expect a kickstarter end-of-summerish.
Wow! That's really good news! Thank you!
It makes me wonder though. Wouldn't Free League benefit from communicating some sort of release plan for their products? Something that makes people look at a game and go: "wow, look at all this amazing content in the works! I got to get in on that!" Or is it too few products in line for each game so it would be detrimental to the individual games...?

Fenhorn

Thu 13 May 2021, 19:55

<>
It makes me wonder though. Wouldn't Free League benefit from communicating some sort of release plan for their products? Something that makes people look at a game and go: "wow, look at all this amazing content in the works! I got to get in on that!" Or is it too few products in line for each game so it would be detrimental to the individual games...?
They have a monthly YT stream in which they talk about what they have done and what is upcoming where people can ask questions.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 13 May 2021, 20:26

<>
They have a monthly YT stream in which they talk about what they have done and what is upcoming where people can ask questions.
Yes, well... I've only watched a few of those but so far they seem to mostly touch on what is already near release, like in the upcoming months or so. It's still quite hard to make out what they want with each product line and how long one would have to wait in order to get that. New rules, new adventures or campaigns, as well as settings, monsters and whatnot makes me excited and wanting to play even more. I like to look forward to new, interesting things! It may also help keep interest in a product. If I have a reason to think it will be supported with a lot of content in the future, I'm more willing to invest time and money into it.
Anyways, just my ramblings. Now I'm off to go prepare a few new monster for this weekends game...