Zadantur
Topic Author

Talent Bonuses (Especially Defender with Shield) (Foundry VTT)

Wed 05 May 2021, 11:12

Anyone know how to apply the +1 bonuses from talents like Defender and Hammer Fighter to the automatic rolls from the character sheets?
Logically you should put the skill you get the bonus with in the modifiers for the talent, however
  • if you add +1 Melee to you Hammer Fighter talent, you get +1 to all melee attacks, with any weapon even unarmed, when it should only apply to blunt weapons.
  • if you apply the +1 as a skill bonus in the weapon properties it applies correctly and only to the weapon, however it applies to all actions with that weapon, attack, parry, shove and disarm. I'm not sure this is the intended behaviour of the talent, though I may be wrong.
  • If you apply the +1 as a roll modifier to Melee in the weapon properties it also applies the +1 to Parry, Disarm, Shove, and to attacks with other weapons even unarmed.

Similarly with Defender's +1 to Parry there is a problem with how to apply the bonus
  • If I apply the bonus +1 to Parry in the Defender Talent, it applies to Parrying attempts with weapons, but not with shields.
  • If I try and add the bonus into the shield as a roll modifier to Melee, it applies the bonus everywhere except to the shield (other weapons and unarmed, and to parry, shove, grapple and disarm)
  • If I try adding a +1 Parry Bonus to my shield it's closer, in that it only applies to parries, not attacks, except that the bonus only applies to weapon parries, not shield parries
I think the logic needs to either be that shield rolls are treated as Parries, and hence get your global Parry bonus (most intuitive), or that there needs to be another skill modifier in the drop down for Roll modifiers for Shield Rolls (less intuitive, but could work). That or Roll modifiers applied to a weapon/shield only affect that weapon/shield rather than becoming some kind of global skill bonus that remains in play even if you're not using the weapon.

Ideally you should be able to add the bonus to the talent. Hammer Fighters bonus would only apply to the use of a weapon with the Blunt property, and Defenders would apply to any parrying attempt with any weapon or shield. Only potential pitfall I've come across so far is that the Talent Shield Fighter allows for a slash attack with a shield, so you need some way on the sheet to differentiate between shield Attack rolls and shield Parry rolls (something like the different attack options next to a weapon entry, ideally only activated if you have the right talent).

In the meantime the only way I can see of applying the correct modifier is to have players do it manually every time, which is a little harsh as they are likely to forget quite often.
Zadantur

Mr Oldtimer

Re: Talent Bonuses (Especially Defender with Shield) (Foundry VTT)

Wed 05 May 2021, 16:53

Good catch. Haven't gotten into the details of the modules yet myself. In the "Welcome"/"Intro" message when installing the module, there's a discord link to the one putting this together. I'd recommend asking this question directly to him/her. This is a problem with quite a few of the talents and potentially with magic/-items as well.

And if you do get a reply, it would be interesting to see how s/he suggests solving this.

Zadantur
Topic Author

Wed 05 May 2021, 17:54

I did post it into the Discord Channel yesterday, not had a reply though as yet.

There's times i wish I knew more modern coding on stuff like this, I'm great at fixing code logic, but I lack the syntax to delve too deeply into Foundry modules.
Zadantur

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 08 May 2021, 10:38

No reply yet? It’d be nice to know If they intend on update the skills/talents/critical sounds to work as intended by just dragging and dropping the talents/wounds on the character without having to do the math every roll.

Allvaldr

Mon 10 May 2021, 09:45

I also realised recently that my players weren't getting their bonuses from the talents because they never thought of applying them manually. But admittedly my players are very unimaginative during combat & immediately forget that they can do other things than just press the basic attack button. They also get so attached to their talent bonus (even if they don't actually apply it) that they refuse to try other weapon types. "We just found an artifact sword? Too bad, I'm an axe fighter and we're all pretty full on encumbrance anyway, let's just leave it behind" was an actual conversation by a player recently. Note this was the first artifact they found in the entire campaign. My warrior rather fights with a battleaxe that badly needs repairs with only one gear bonus left, than pick up a sword because he doesn't want to miss out on that talent he never uses.

So in the end I just went ahead and added a melee modifier to the talents. But the only reason that's a feasible solution for me is because my players are so bad at tactically using their gear and actions.