Bartolom
Topic Author

armour save vs magic

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 14:54

so after our first little test run, completely randomly generated little dungeon found after following the legend also randomly generated led the two heroes to a farm house with a very small ruin underneath.

we had a brilliant little mini session with only one thing we could not really figure out; the druid cast a spell to destroy an undead (who wore chain mail and helmet).

it is unclear to us - does the druid spell to destroy undead allow armour saves? (sorry if i just missed this somewhere)

i saw on the immoliate spell that there it is specified that it does not allow saves, so i guess a save would be allowed - only i then feel that the spell gets fairly weak no? we had 3 successes (2 WP spent) which in the heat of the moment was made to not allow armour to make the spell more fun - but what is the intention?

thanks!

//B

Fenhorn

Re: armour save vs magic

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 15:03

An armor only works on physical attacks (obviously) and I don't think Purge Undead (or Banish Demons) are physical.

Immolation is fire and that would normally be something physical, but since the fire starts from within the target, armor doesn't help. Technically you should roll the armor roll if targeted by Immolation just to see if the armor takes damage (from the other direction so to speak).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Bartolom
Topic Author

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 15:16

Wow you are quick!

Yeah we also thought it would be a sort of Mystical force to blast them from within and therefore disregarded the armour during the gaming.

reading your answer its clear and we will keep it like that, thanks a lot (again :) )

and good note on immoleate, i think we would indeed do that if we get a mage able to cast it!

/B

Mr Oldtimer

Thu 22 Apr 2021, 15:49

There are a few spells against whom armor is effective. Bear's Claw and Stone Storm comes to mind but there might be others. In the spell description of those spells are clearly stated that armor "works normally" agains the spells. So, if the spell description doesn't specifically states so, I'd rule that armor has no effect.