Moinen

Re: Reforged Power

Fri 02 Apr 2021, 14:41

What if I roll lower than 11 on critical injuries? What happens?

JohanR
Topic Author

Fri 02 Apr 2021, 23:44

You do not suffer any long lastning injury then.
You can treat it just like a result of 11.

But good find! Should be clarified.

KARAMAZOFF

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 09:33

So, man, your supplement is realy good! I've tested the rule changes on several games, it's really cool!
However, there are a few questions!
First, what about the corruption system? some spells indicate corruption points, but there is no explanation for this. I assume you took this from some other hack, please tell me!
Secondly, the question about the destructive power (gear bonuses) of crossbows - +3 - is it really powerful and slightly wild - is this a typo, or is it justified?
Thirdly - the talent Fast shooter and crossbows, especially the windlass crossbow - does this mean that, with its 2 rounds reloading, at the 3rd level of the fast shooter it reloads round + slow action and shoots in the second round with fast action?

These are questions that you want to get answers to!
Anyway, I admit that your add-on really impressed my players and revolutionized our games! Thank you very much and greetings from the distant Russian Siberia! They also know such an amazing game here!
I don’t understand why it’s not so popular - at the moment this is the coolest addon for fantasy Year Zero that I have seen! I hope you will continue to make add-ons for other Free League games! (if you need help - contact me - at the moment I am completely in the mechanics of Year Zero - I am translating your add-on into Russian for my players)

JohanR
Topic Author

Mon 21 Jun 2021, 16:09

First, thank you for your kind words and liking the supplement!

To answer your questions:

First, what about the corruption system? some spells indicate corruption points, but there is no explanation for this. I assume you took this from some other hack, please tell me!
It is in there.. but could be better explained.

First, this only affects "Artifact spells", that create lasting major changes to the lands. These spells are "Create Artifact", "Wonder", "Bend Reality" and "Raise Land".
These all require special ingredients, as noted on page 67. Some ingredients are hard to come by, but doing things that adds some corruption is a lot easier.
Like, if you sacrifice someone in a ritual. It fulfills the "corrupting action" criteria, so it while that adds an ingredient point for a power level, it also adds a corruption point.
Example:
For simplicity, lets say you forge your own sword and want to enchant it with a d8 artifact die. You sacrifice someone during the ritual to gain a needed ingredient for the rank 1 power level required for the spell (page 67). Sacrificing someone is however a corrupting action, and so also adds a point of corruption, so the sword, if both successfully crafted and enchanted, will need to "spend" that corruption point as well. Perhaps it "corrupts life", so that you take an Empathy damage on each kill while using it? Feel free to make up your own corruption.. it perhaps haunts you with nightmares and hinders you from sleeping for a couple of days equal to amount of people you kill?

It is really good that you find these issues and give feedback!
I'm at least thinking on updating this with a new large version (+ errata + some small upgrade pages for those that have already printed it) when the Alsene/Horn expansions arrives.
And this is a prime example of something that should be broken up and better explained.

Secondly, the question about the destructive power (gear bonuses) of crossbows - +3 - is it really powerful and slightly wild - is this a typo, or is it justified?
Well I wanted there to be a reason for using crossbows. Historically they kind of replaced bows, as you needed less strength and skill to use them.. but they were inferior if you were a skilled bowman.
First the price. They cost much more than a bow, takes weeks instead of days to produce and requires you to be BOTH a smith and a bowyer.
Then they also require longer reload AND the simpler one has shorter range, since quarrels aren't as aerodynamically stable in flight..
On top of this they gain less synergy from the Fast shooter talent (as they do not benefit from the "no longer need to READY WEAPON before you SHOOT" bonus).
So crossbows has a lot against them..
But they were easier to aim than a bow, especially as holding a bow fully drawn uses a lot of your strength at the same time, so should be easier to hit with. So no, not a typo.
Instead I allow bows to be constructed as War bows (page 34), to compete a bit in strength if you are a particularly strong individual.
And since bows are so cheap (and takes such a short time to produce), you could also compensate by creating masterwork and composite versions of these.

Thirdly - the talent Fast shooter and crossbows, especially the windlass crossbow - does this mean that, with its 2 rounds reloading, at the 3rd level of the fast shooter it reloads round + slow action and shoots in the second round with fast action?
Yes, you need to spend two slow actions reloading, and then you can shoot using a fast action on your second turn.
I don't see this as a problem.. it still takes longer than if you take a swing action in melee, for not much more effect.
And your opponent can try to dodge or parry with a shield (at +2 for being against a piercing attack) every other round to negate a lot of the danger.

What I do not like it that rank 2 and rank 3 stacks with each other for bows, according to the standard rules of the game.
And running at full speed backwards, while shooting twice as fast without any penalties.. no, I do not really like that. At the same time, someone chasing would need to constantly dodge at -2 just to keep up but not ever be able to come closer, and then only if their dodges are free..
If my players would face that, they would start throwing things at me for being a bad GM.
Should I should probably change that, so that rank 2 simply cannot be used at the same time as any of the other ranks (rank 1 and 2 would then still stack, as they are not really used at the same time).

I don’t understand why it’s not so popular - at the moment this is the coolest addon for fantasy Year Zero that I have seen!
I'm just very happy that some have found use of it! :)

I should perhaps also add a poll of what people do dislike or so, and make those parts of the rules at least more optional in nature?
There are a bit more cross-referencing between the rules then I might like.. at least there should be added optional rule boxes perhaps? Like if you don't use "optional rule x", then instead do "this"... and so on..?

---------

Edit: Also, if Fria Ligan/Freeleaguepublishing ever wants to reuse or take any (or all) parts of Reforged Power to use it in their own works, they have my full permission to do so. But if so, do note that some rules have been heavily inspired by others posts on this forum and reddit (all noted under credits, see page 3), so some more permission hunting might be required in some cases.

currentpattern

Fri 25 Jun 2021, 23:24

Yeah, I love Reforged Power. I use a ton of stuff from it. Namely, the new Talents, Spells, Heat/Temperature, Survey The Land, and a lot of the rules for explosives, firearms, and such. I don't go as detailed into crafting as Reforged Power does, but I've taken elements.

JohanR
Topic Author

Fri 23 Jul 2021, 00:57

Two major changes in Reforged Power that were never discussed and I never added a design note about were:
- Resource dice changed to d6 and only failing on a 1.
- Changes to crafting

Here are my thoughts about why I made those changes:

Resources
Changing resource dice to d6's was a tough decision I initially did not like to make, but it did solve three problems for me.
1. Why does resources last longer the more you stack them in the original rules? Like if you add from d6 to a d8 in arrows it last less long than from d10 to d12? If anything it would make more sense if it did the opposite, like I would probably look harder to reuse those arrows if I had very few left.
2. It makes ammunition easier to track, to just always roll a d6 ammunition die together with any ranged attack rolls. (It might make ranged attacks slightly more powerful, but I saw it as worth it)
3. Lots of items have a shelf-life of a week, and for items like you always keep around, like food, that is very hard to track. Changing these week tracking to roll all dice one per day during bed time or so, removes a lot of this hassle in my eyes.
So in the end, I kept that change.

Crafting
This is perhaps faulty thinking, but I thought that a chipped masterwork blade made out of dwarven steel would require more of a (especially an inexperienced) Smith to repair then repairing a chipped crude copper axe.
That is why I added the minus to repair masterwork items or items of difficult to work/difficult to attain materials and why crafting is now full of "-X to repair rolls".
To compensate I added the bonus to craft and repair rolls to the craft talents themselves. Perhaps making these more worthwhile to invest in?
Also, by introducing material bonuses I had to instead halve the masterwork bonuses, otherwise the +item bonuses from masterwork and materials would become much higher than in the base game.
This could perhaps also make PCs perhaps not always use superior weapons once found.. and this could be a good thing or a bad one.. at least I think it adds somewhat to the survival theme.
Could I perhaps have introduced materials in better ways? If so, please comment!

I have noticed a small amount of typos, but are there any thing else you would like me to change in a revision?

Like the Empowered NPC part.. I don't know why I tried to tack on any morale values.. that should be up to the DM.. or if there were to be any morale rules, they need to be much better than that >.<
Also I guess this entire part can be hard to understand? I should perhaps at least have added examples on how to use it..?
But is it usable even so?
I just though it strange why no combat oriented NPC ever would choose not to gain a free parry or dodge each round if it only costed them 3 xp (if you use the main rules, 5 xp if mine).
So it was a way for named NPCs, especially those the party can gang up against to gain good talents for their build (and can also be a help for new players, what talents to take that do share some synergy for combat, especially the defensive ones).

There are other minor things I could change.
Like stearin should be removed from Alchemy, but rubber should be added. As rubber could have been made from dandelion roots (well most likely herbs in our case?) and vulcanized with sulfur. Rubber can then also work as a way to have a material "upgrade" from slings to sling shots.

Other minor changes could include intoxicated allowing use of full attribute dice (ignoring damage) on all attributes, as simplifying things are always good. More?

Edit: A version "1.2" has been made, can be found at DriveThruRPG.

DiegoSun

Wed 16 Nov 2022, 23:17

Hey, realy like your modification!
But there are few questions:
1) Does manipulation bonuses from silver inlays, crucible steel, fine garments (and can be fine garments crafted with colored silk for +3 manipulation?), silver buckle stacks? It's look like too much, when PC has +5-6 manipulation from stuff.
2) What about materials and smith talent - do I need smith 3 for crafting steel sword or I can do it with usual penalty?
3) Modifiers of selling items and manipulation roll. Is it applies, when PC sell valuable finds or finds always cost 100% price? If PC buy something with a coins, did modifiers and manipulation roll applies to this items, or PC buy items always for 100% price?

JohanR
Topic Author

Thu 17 Nov 2022, 02:16

I'm working on an update, that will change a lot of things, like really a lot of things. I don't know when it will be done, but I have increased the work on it since we got the Bloodmarch... work, wife and kids tend to steal time though, so it will likely take months to complete it. I will drop an update when it is done.

1) In the upcoming edition I have made it so that one item you have gives you a +bonus to Manipulation. The rest becomes a talking point, and instead are converted to +reputation. If you loose these items, you simply loose that reputation. Since you become famous just for "being the guy in the golden armor", people might not really connect the dots or forget about you if you lose it. I think it would be best to just use that rule, even to it isn't in there yet.
2) For crafting a steel sword you would need to buy steel (or reforge the scraps from someone else's steel items), or make steel from iron/wrought iron yourself. Only the last option would require a talent rank of 3. (These things will change in the upcoming edition, materials there will more or less just affect the crafting rolls, while the talents will remain more like in the core rules).
3) For valuable finds I just roll the dice, if the players aren't happy, they can try to reroll in another settlement. The rules to sell stuff were meant for "regular loot", like swords and other things they are likely to pick up from corpses. (The rules to sell stuff is rewritten in the next edition too. I wanted something a bit simpler, but that also encompassed rules for your own Strongholds)

In the upcoming edition, all these will also be handled by optional modules. So it will be very easy to just implement a thing you like, or remove things you don't like.

DiegoSun

Thu 17 Nov 2022, 13:15

Thanks for answers. Can't wait for new update :)