silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Shipbuilding and seafaring?

Sun 18 Oct 2020, 20:59

Has anyone made any rules on shipbuilding and sea exploration?

I'm working on homebrew rules for my own setting and wondered not anyone else had tried anything? Or heard if anything official was coming?

Brior

Re: Shipbuilding and seafaring?

Sun 18 Oct 2020, 21:07

Has anyone made any rules on shipbuilding and sea exploration?

I'm working on homebrew rules for my own setting and wondered not anyone else had tried anything? Or heard if anything official was coming?
There will most likely be a seafaring expansion in the eastern sea archipelago eventually, but it's not scheduled yet.

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Sun 18 Oct 2020, 21:13

Hmm, okay...

Need anyone to start working out some shipbuilding rules ;) ?

Konungr

Mon 19 Oct 2020, 00:52

Follow other crafting requirements including the base building rules.

For starters, it should require a bunch of raw materials. Different sized craft requiring more or less materials. Since large ships are essentially floating storehouses/houseing consider the amount of wood that would take. Where as a raft would require very little. Maybe the equivalent of a cart?

Second consider making a talent for it. Some kind of carpentry or shipwrite. Useful both for building and repairing the vessel.

silverfoxdmt73
Topic Author

Mon 19 Oct 2020, 09:06

Follow other crafting requirements including the base building rules.

For starters, it should require a bunch of raw materials. Different sized craft requiring more or less materials. Since large ships are essentially floating storehouses/houseing consider the amount of wood that would take. Where as a raft would require very little. Maybe the equivalent of a cart?

Second consider making a talent for it. Some kind of carpentry or shipwrite. Useful both for building and repairing the vessel.

Yeah, the Shipwright (spelling?) Talent will be the nautical equivalent of the Builder talent.

There is the rowboat and sail boat for starters in the equipment guide with their resource costs and relative sizes so that's a decent starting point.

For the stronghold equivalent, Kitchen = Galley, substituting wood for stone.. again some good starting points to base a similar system from. I can do a little research and also borrow from Coriolis in terms of size of hulls.