Spiraller
Topic Author

In your games, are characters allowed to run/move while drawing their weapons?

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 01:40

Thus saving them their slow action?

Rymdhamster

Re: In your games, are characters allowed to run/move while drawing their weapons?

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 01:56

Nope, that's what quickdraw is for =)

Although, generaly if they just want to take a couple of steps I'll let them do that as a free action.

Spiraller
Topic Author

Re: In your games, are characters allowed to run/move while drawing their weapons?

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 02:01

Nope, that's what quickdraw is for =)

Although, generaly if they just want to take a couple of steps I'll let them do that as a free action.
Speaking of Quickdraw, would you allow a player to draw and parry on an enemy's turn?

Rymdhamster

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 02:07

Probably yes. As long as they aren't surprised, and they are aware of the incomming attack. I think that fits with the talent.

Konungr

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 04:21

Yes, but I use a house rule.

I assign the actions a point value (which is kind of happening in the background of the mechanics anyway and functions like coriolis). Slow actions are 2 and fast actions are 1. You are allowed 1 slow and 1 fast or 2 fast as per normal. But you can also take addition actions with a cumulative penalty equal to the value of the additional actions. So Move (fast) Draw (fast) attack (slow -2 penalty to the roll). Once you fail a roll (no successes) your done though. No more actions.

It puts a soft cap on the game play instead of a hard cap as exists now which makes things more interesting all around. I like to tell players they can do things albeit at a cost and a risk instead of telling them no.

Free or additional actions granted from talents work as normal and do not trigger any penalties.

Ebrim

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 16:39

Yes, but I use a house rule.

I assign the actions a point value (which is kind of happening in the background of the mechanics anyway and functions like coriolis). Slow actions are 2 and fast actions are 1. You are allowed 1 slow and 1 fast or 2 fast as per normal. But you can also take addition actions with a cumulative penalty equal to the value of the additional actions. So Move (fast) Draw (fast) attack (slow -2 penalty to the roll). Once you fail a roll (no successes) your done though. No more actions.

It puts a soft cap on the game play instead of a hard cap as exists now which makes things more interesting all around. I like to tell players they can do things albeit at a cost and a risk instead of telling them no.

Free or additional actions granted from talents work as normal and do not trigger any penalties.
What’s consequences do you put on these failures? Or do your players just keep doing things until they fail and then move on without consequence?

Konungr

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 17:05

Its within reason because the penalties stack. The players know that if they tried to keep attacking then not only does it become -2 then -4 then -6 but then when they get attacked their parry is at -7.

And if they fail one of those attacks then they cant parry at all. Better to be able to defend then not. It quickly becomes a strategic choice with a risk/reward balance that lacks a hard cap.

Just our preference.

Rymdhamster

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 18:11

Once you fail a roll (no successes) your done though. No more actions.
That's really cool! So if they fail a roll on the first action they try, they are done. They actually loose an action that way?

That's a really interesting way of doing it, I gotta try it sometime!

Konungr

Tue 29 Sep 2020, 20:02

Well, I don't restrict them from their basic actions that the game normally allows. Which includes extra actions from talents. This is purely for breaking those limitations. Consider that under the normal rules with the right talents a player could move back and shoot with a bow every turn. If they are 2 range categories away a player chasing them can NEVER catch up and attack.

With these rules the move to near and then move to arms followed by an attack at -2 is possible. It's rougher then it would be because of the penalty, but it's possible.

Again, it's about giving the players options. Telling them they are welcome to try. But also stacking up the difficulty and them know that when it's their turn to defend those stacked penalties are there waiting for them.