pytheas
Topic Author

Critical injuries and disease

Sat 26 Sep 2020, 02:09

In our last session two(!) PCs received the punctured intestine critical injury and I've been wondering how that is supposed to work.
The effect of the injury is that they receive a virulence 6 disease. They off course failed the initial endurance check to resist the disease, considering that their strength had just been broken and they have no points in endurance. Now they need to make daily sickness rolls. In the meantime they can't recover strength (meaning that they'll remain broken).
The rules say that having your strength broken while sick means that you die. Does that mean they die unless they receive magical healing before there next sickness roll? Or does it mean they won't die from the disease because their strength was broken before they became sick?
I'm also confused about the stated duration (2d6). Does this disease not follow the usual disease rules and simply takes 2d6 days to resolve?

Konungr

Re: Critical injuries and disease

Sat 26 Sep 2020, 04:34

So for the first part. Yeah, they will die if they cannot resist the disease. Ruptered intestines are incredibly lethal with todays medicine.

But lets say they recieve some magical healing or a whatever and recover some strength. Then the critical injury takes 2d6 days to heal. Which means they should be under threat of the disease for at least that duration.

pytheas
Topic Author

Sat 26 Sep 2020, 06:00

Yes, I get that the injury is dangerous. And it is a critical injury so that is fair enough. I have ruled that the PCs will die if they are still broken when it is time for the sickness roll and they fail that roll. That seems reasonable to me and does provide the opportunity to receive the attention of a healer or magical healing. So far so good.

What I'm less clear about is the intended interaction with the injury healing time. What happens if they succeed at a sickness role. Does the disease persist and they just don't take damage that day? What about magical healing of the disease?

It sort of makes sense that until the injury had healed there is a risk of reinfection but the rules seen writer vague on this (unless I'm missing something?).

Konungr

Sat 26 Sep 2020, 13:11

You basically have 3 things going on.

1) is the attribute damage. Strength is depleted and needs to be raised some how so they they even have a chance to cope with the disease.

2) They have a critical injury. That critical injury and it's effects take time to heal. There are VERY few methods to heal a critical injury/it's effects before that time runs out. Healing strength isn't enough. Magical healing doesn't tend to do it. It takes Medicine checks. In this particular case it is CAUSING the disease.

3) The disease itself and all the rules that that implies separate from the other 2 things going on.

So lets say you do some magic healing and recover 1-2 points of strength AND you use magic to cure the disease. Well... you still have the critical injury. So the magical healing of the disease doesn't stop it from happening again. The intestines are still ruptured. Toxins are still leaking into the body. The magical healing of the disease is just trying to stem the tide. You need to fix the source first. The next time a check would be made the disease is back and you are making another check.

The same thing happens if you fix the injury and strength but don't cure the disease. The disease is STILL there.

Fixing 2 things isn't enough. You need to fix all 3.