Tywyll
Topic Author

Effects of Crits when not Broken (Axe 2)

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 14:17

The Axe Master Talent level 2 allows you to inflict critical damage without needing to break an opponent.

Does this knock targets out, or do they continue to act even if they lose something important?

Fenhorn

Re: Effects of Crits when not Broken (Axe 2)

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 14:52

They continue to fight until they are broken (or whatever they want to do with their lives).
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Konungr

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 15:07

A critical injury could be a bleeding forehead. They will be fine and keep fighting. It could also be a decapitation. They can't keep fighting. They are dead. What happens depends on the crit.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 15:16

A critical injury could be a bleeding forehead. They will be fine and keep fighting. It could also be a decapitation. They can't keep fighting. They are dead. What happens depends on the crit.
Thanks, I figured those out on my own.

I'm talking about things like internal injuries, organ damage, limb loss.... do they keep going or fall down and scream until put out of their misery?

Ebrim

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 15:52

Thanks, I figured those out on my own.

I'm talking about things like internal injuries, organ damage, limb loss.... do they keep going or fall down and scream until put out of their misery?
They’re not by default broken so rule it as it makes sense for your table. You could mechanize an edge case making an endurance check.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

michael

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 16:14

Maybe look at the Coriolis critical injuries table for inspiration if you have access to it? The system in Coriolis is a bit different in that you can score a critical injury without someone being broken as a default, without using a talent for it. Hence, the critical table has been modified to reflect on that.

The three effects that are there in addition to the normal effects (-X to Skill Y) are
  • "Stunned for 1 turn" (in a few cases 2 turns)
  • "Falls down"
  • "Drops weapon"
  • ...or a combination of two of the above.
There are also effects such as "additional 1 damage when using <Skill(s)>" when it comes to internal injuries and similar damages. This last effect might be a bit over the top in Forbidden Lands as PCs generally can take less damage before being broken.
"To fall in hell, or soar angelic, you need a pinch of psychedelic."

Konungr

Wed 16 Sep 2020, 19:19

The middling crits give you what stats they impact. Moving being a slow action. Penalties to skill checks. They keep fighting until they break.