Theros

Re: Boring long travels between locations

Wed 02 Sep 2020, 19:08

I would say that halving the rolls if area is distantly known by some PC. I would keep encounter rolls as those are and make an encounter if nothing happens at the middle of, for example 3 days trip, the journey.

Ebrim

Thu 03 Sep 2020, 01:29

I’m offering an option to “quick travel” in my sandbox game. Boil it down to a single roll between two known locations on a known path. It’s more expensive generally in terms of resources than it might be by default but there’s a little less risk (and a lot less table time.
Do you have any rules around this or do you hand wave it at the table?
So with a success I assume 1 food and water per four hexes. And three hexes per day. Extra successes can be used to decrease resource use by 1 or increase travel rate to 4 hexes per day. On a failure, I’ll make the trip take longer or take extra resources.

Haven’t tested it in play yet so may end up tweaking but that’s the plan.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

AndreasDavour

Thu 03 Sep 2020, 09:07

If they are coming home, they will replenish their resources at the end, so there's no need to roll for those. For the travel, I'd suggest the party designate a scout and I have that scout roll one time for the trip. Then I'd roll for encounters once per type of hex they cross and present that if encounters are needed. Making camp I'd just hand wave.

Tywyll

Wed 09 Sep 2020, 17:17

There is a tool that automatically rolls both whether you had an encounter and what kind it is for every terrain type. It's very handy. I don't have the link at the moment, but a search of the forum should reveal it.

While I get the player's feeling, I fear removing those rolls would make the explore classes, skills, and talents pointless.

TheTenth

Wed 07 Oct 2020, 13:44

@Tywyll: Sorry can't find that mentioned tool. Would you pls be so kind to help? Many thanks

SuppenkaZper

Wed 07 Oct 2020, 17:36

Not the person you asked, but he maybe talks about this?
https://perchance.org/fl-session-generator

lupex

Wed 07 Oct 2020, 17:54

Enjoy ;)

TheTenth

Wed 07 Oct 2020, 20:56

much appreciated, will do

rennarda

Wed 21 Oct 2020, 11:58

In my campaign there are ancient magical stone portals that link certain sites, but only if you have a key and know how to operate them. This basically gives CRPG like fast travel between certain known locations. So far we've only used it once, to escape some enemies, but I intend to allow their use to rapidly re-visit 'unlocked' locations. There's a possibility that the PC will need to travel halfway across Ravenland soon, to retrieve Scarnesbane from where they hid it - and I definitely don't want to be making all those rolls.