annagul
Topic Author

[Combat cards] Maneuver card and retreat/run action

Mon 10 Aug 2020, 17:13

Hello.

A question I cannot resolve myself. Player's Manual, p95, says you can choose to Feint or Retreat when you pick the Maneuver card. But in the Maneuver card, it says you can Fein or Run.

Which one is the correct rule? Retreat or Run?

Thank you in advance!

Hope you stay safe and healthy!

Konungr

Re: [Combat cards] Maneuver card and retreat/run action

Mon 10 Aug 2020, 17:23

Run is the type of move you make when you retreat. Its a agility/move roll if i remember correctly.

terriblyinept

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 22:30

A question I cannot resolve myself. Player's Manual, p95, says you can choose to Feint or Retreat when you pick the Maneuver card. But in the Maneuver card, it says you can Fein or Run.

Which one is the correct rule? Retreat or Run?

Run & Retreat are distinct actions. I treat Maneuver as Feint, Retreat, or Run. You cannot Run (move between zones) with an enemy at Arm's Length, only Retreat, and Hidden Combinations requires the defender be in range of the attacker's weapon (and with weapons like Staff or Spear this can be Near range). There's still some ambiguity (and I'm not sure if or where it's been clarified), and I'm not sure this is the best way to treat it, but I currently allow Maneuver for those 3 distinct actions (Retreat being either unnecessary or required, and Run being mutually exclusive).

(PHB 2nd Printing References: p.88-89,93-94)

Fenhorn

Sat 29 Aug 2020, 22:52

Retreat is a better word since the only type of run action (technically a retreat is a special version of a run action) you do is when using advanced combat is retreat.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore