TheManMachine
Topic Author

Wyrm Tales - A Forbidden Lands random content generator

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 21:47

Hello everybody.

I would like to present to you something I made: Wyrm Tales (Ormesaga in Swedish), a comprehensive random content generator for Forbidden Lands, based on the rulebooks but with some addons.

Features:
  • Generate complete adventure sites with a click
  • Create notes and handouts
  • Save your favorites for future use
  • Freely edit all generated content
  • Print to paper with themed layout
  • Full English & Swedish support
  • Fully responsive design (works on your phone)
  • Download & run it offline

Check it out at http://wyrmtales.net. It currently generates:

• Villages (with added names, and also tavern names & descriptions)
  • Castles
  • Dungeons
  • Demons
  • Notes (for general note taking and handouts)

It started out as a small hobby project but ballooned into something a bit bigger than first intended. It has actually been 95% done for more than a year, but a lack of time and the fact that my FL campaign is on ice killed my enthusiasm. I finally found the time and energy to finish it up and publish it, it would be a waste of code not to release it. :)

I think it might be a great asset for GM:s who need to quickly invent stuff on the fly, without having to stop the action to roll dice and look up results in tables spread over several pages. And since it runs on your phone, you can sneakily use it behind your GM screen without anyone even noticing. ;)

Please have a look and see what you think. If you have any ideas or suggestions for it let me know. I guess the next step would be to incorporate the loot tables, if I can summon the time and energy.

gru

Re: Wyrm Tales - A Forbidden Lands random content generator

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 23:46

Very cool! Nice work!

gru

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 23:54

One thing I thought would be very cool for the village generator is to have individuals and factions, and some conflicts between them.

This is what makes existing adventure sites interesting - the hollows has two conflicts (rust brother <-> raven sister, innkeeper <-> elder) and it basically builds the whole adventure. Having some similar suggestion in the village generation would be neat.

Ebrim

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 03:07

Going to have to give this a try, thanks!
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Eldhierta

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 09:58

Nice one!

Some typos (at least in Swedish) like "interessant" and "en en ödla" but otherwise a bang-up job! Definitely gonna use this. I'll keep an eye out for more, just came across those two that I can remember when I tried it out yesterday.

Tywyll

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 10:56

This is awesome!

If I could dream up more features:
1) As above, if there would be a way to generate conflict in the villages/towns that would be cool
2) Dungeon Layout. The blurb is a great place to start but needing to further map the dungeon makes it less useful (to me at least).

But I love it, the ability to favorite and the output format looks gorgeous.

TheManMachine
Topic Author

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 22:55

Thanks for the feedback!

One thing I thought would be very cool for the village generator is to have individuals and factions, and some conflicts between them.

This is a good idea. It means straying from the rule books and into original content territory, though. Not that this is a bad thing, the generator already has some of that, but I am a bit wary that people might find it off-putting, since it would not be "canon". But maybe I'm just being silly. I will have a look at it. If you have any creative input or suggestions for conflict topics here, feel free to share.

Some typos (at least in Swedish) like "interessant" and "en en ödla"

Good catch. I have tried my utmost to make the language correct and reasonably lifelike (this was something that bothered me with the other generators), but some stuff always slips through with that many lines of code. It was more work than I initially thought to make the randomized tables generate grammatically correct text in two languages, with all the pronouns, inflections and conjugations involved. If you find any more errors please let me know, I am very sensitive to incorrect spelling and grammar myself. :)

Dungeon Layout. The blurb is a great place to start but needing to further map the dungeon makes it less useful (to me at least).

I have actually been thinking about this a bit. The random tables for dungeon rooms in the rulebook are not that good, I think. The results are often a bit haphazard and don't always make much sense together. At the same time, making a generator for rooms that actually connect together properly in 2D space, which is what I would prefer, is a lot of work (and maybe out of my programming skills). But I'll keep it in mind. Maybe it's possible to make some kind of middle road, where it is possible to generate somewhat more plausible dungeons without actually making a map. I will think about it.

gru

Sat 25 Jul 2020, 20:12

TheManMachine: The conflicts could be an option to toggle in the UI, so those that want to remain pure to the books don't need to use.

As for conflicts: generating two named characters (with functions) + nature of the conflict (e.g. love interest, land ownership, religious dogma, position of power, skill rivalry, vendetta, business competition) could go a long way.

TheManMachine
Topic Author

Tue 28 Jul 2020, 21:30

Just to let you know, I have updated Wyrm Tales today. You can now generate all kinds of Finds, including the legendary artifacts. Also, demons now have (weird) names. If you notice any bugs or spelling mistakes, please let me know!

http://wyrmtales.net

Konungr

Tue 28 Jul 2020, 21:46

Excellent work.

Plan to add in the new tables for bitter reach?