Tywyll
Topic Author

Lethal Poison Death?

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 00:51

When you break from leathal poison, when do you die? Immediately or 1d6 days later (break-other table)?

Fenhorn

Re: Lethal Poison Death?

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 01:05

When you become broken by lethal poison you become unconscious and will die in d6 days. It is not the fastest acting poison in the world. You friends have plenty of time to fix you.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Konungr

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 03:55

The issue with poisons isn't the length of time. Its requiring an antidote. If no antodote, magic, or successful endurance roll is available it doesn't matter what your friends do. You will die.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 10:39

Ah, good point. I thought a Healing check could be made like for Diseases, but rereading it I guess I was wrong.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 10:43

Do you stay broken from the poison?

The issue is that the Druid is the one suffering from poison. The rules on removing poison are very vague and unclear. Will she 'unbreak' by resting but die later? Can she be unbroken by the Bard with his Hymn of X so she can wake up long enough to attempt to heal herself? If she can unbreak, she could attempt to heal herself with a spell. If she lingers broken then she'll basically die (as they have already used the one antidote they bought earlier in the week).

Edit: Nevermind, it actually says you stay unconscious until healed or death.

So, I guess that character is dead then.

Konungr

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 14:26

Do you stay broken from the poison?

The issue is that the Druid is the one suffering from poison. The rules on removing poison are very vague and unclear. Will she 'unbreak' by resting but die later? Can she be unbroken by the Bard with his Hymn of X so she can wake up long enough to attempt to heal herself? If she can unbreak, she could attempt to heal herself with a spell. If she lingers broken then she'll basically die (as they have already used the one antidote they bought earlier in the week).

Edit: Nevermind, it actually says you stay unconscious until healed or death.

So, I guess that character is dead then.
I would use characters survival or lore. Make them see if they know a remedy (be forgiving). Spend quarters of a day scouring the wilderness for things to make an antidote. Use cooking to boil leaves/roots/whatever. Hope they have enough time to put it all together while that d6 days clock is ticking. Spend a water resource every 1/4 day from which ever party member is watching the poisoned character while they try to keep them hydrated.

The issue is while poisoned the character cannot recover strength. They cannot become unbroken because the poison will not let them. While poisoned you cannot recover strength if I remember correctly).. Once the poison breaks them consider them to be rolling around in fever dreams and pain until the poison finally takes them. Be dramatic about it.

A remedy made this way 1) Doesn't last. It has no shelf life. They cannot stock up on it. Thats why you BUY antidotes. 2) they need to gather a lot to make very little. Put them through a lot to walk away with only a single dose. 3) Maybe don't have the wilderness manufactures remedy work like an antidote and automatically work. Instead have a character use heal/medicine (whichever it's called. So... use the successes of the cooking roll used to make it as the remedy's potency (how many dice it will add). Have the person who administers it make a heal/medicine roll (# of successes get added to the next roll) and finally the poisoned character (who as no strength) makes an endurance roll with a bonus equal to the remedy potency + the successes of the heal/medicine.

If the character cannot pass that check... it's done. Dead.

Ebrim

Thu 23 Jul 2020, 17:08

Yeah, this seems like a good place for a lore roll to see if they know of some remedy. Perhaps survival to find it and finally healing to administer it. All the while the poison death clock is ticking. It could be there's a village near enough that might have an antidote? But ultimately, if the character dies, let them die.

Tywyll
Topic Author

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 10:43

Yeah, this seems like a good place for a lore roll to see if they know of some remedy. Perhaps survival to find it and finally healing to administer it. All the while the poison death clock is ticking. It could be there's a village near enough that might have an antidote? But ultimately, if the character dies, let them die.
I'm hesitant to give them an out like that, it was poison from an Insectoid Queen. I mean if it were a snake bite I can see that, but I figure something like this, not so much.
On top of the fact that they lack a Rogue with the poisoner talent, any cooking or herbalism talents.

If they raced to Pelagia or took a boat, they could take her back to the Druidic community (where she's from) who would save her, but that has it's own problems (her dark secret is she is fleeing from an arranged marriage).

Konungr

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 17:07

I'm hesitant to give them an out like that, it was poison from an Insectoid Queen. I mean if it were a snake bite I can see that, but I figure something like this, not so much.
On top of the fact that they lack a Rogue with the poisoner talent, any cooking or herbalism talents.

If they raced to Pelagia or took a boat, they could take her back to the Druidic community (where she's from) who would save her, but that has it's own problems (her dark secret is she is fleeing from an arranged marriage).

1) what is important is that you give all the players something to do. They should EACH make a roll. Let them try to suggest things and if it is at all plausible then at least let them try. Maybe chuck in a -2 penalty if you think its fair.

2) failing rolls a rush to a city is a good alternative. Don't forget to keep those water rations rolling and the added burden of an unconcious friend.

3) Good! The dark secret coming up is what its there for. The companions putting her in a rough situation by trying to save her life makes for interesting story telling. You couldnt ask for a better set up.