challa
Topic Author

Can anyone sell me on Forbidden Lands?

Thu 16 Jul 2020, 08:35

Hello everyone,,
I know the system is based on the Mutant Year: Zero and Tales from the Loop system. The boxed set looks nice and I'm thinking of grabbing it for Christmas. How does the game play?

Ebrim

Re: Can anyone sell me on Forbidden Lands?

Thu 16 Jul 2020, 19:47

Hello everyone,,
I know the system is based on the Mutant Year: Zero and Tales from the Loop system. The boxed set looks nice and I'm thinking of grabbing it for Christmas. How does the game play?
Have you played MYZ and TFTL?

Of all Free League games Forbidden Lands is closest mechanically to MYZ.

It's designed for sandbox play and evoke some nostalgia for a different time in gaming while also having a lot of the quality of life stuff we expect from games these days. Forbidden Lands is my desert island game. It's very action-adventure oriented with some heroic flavors mixed in but the characters tend to be quite vulnerable compared to some other fantasy games out there. I also really like the focus on survival mechanics and tend to emphasize them in my game.

Any specific questions I can help with?
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Konungr

Fri 17 Jul 2020, 05:14

As the GM forbidden lands has some of the best tables for randomly generating content i have seen in any game. From adventure sites to monsters you could ignore all normal content and just generate a campaign as you go with just a little bit of work. Forbidden Lands is a worthy purchase for a GM on that alone.

rennarda

Fri 24 Jul 2020, 15:21

I would agree with Konungr - although there is a published campaign, I've found that to be of mixed value. We've had our best adventures just rolling up something random and going with the flow.

As a whole, I highly recommend FL though!