Eldhierta
Topic Author

New talent for multi-classing

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 20:57

I like the professions in FbL, the only thing I lack is the ability to cross-class/multi-class. There is a talent in the MYZ-games called something like "Jack of all trades" that lets you switch your profession, cutting you off from any further advancement in your old profession in exchange for learning a new one. To me, that doesn't feel quite right. I mean, I personally dabble in a lot of fields, and it's not like I stop getting better at the stuff I used to do just because I learn a new trade, as long as I still keep practicing the things I used to do. My suggestion for a talent would look something like this:

Talented:

Tier 1: You can learn the talents of one (1) additional profession. Each time you learn/increase tier in one of the other profession's talents you must pay extra XP to the amount of buying tier 1 of this talent (3XP).
Tier 2: You can learn the talents of two (2) additional professions, including the one from tier 1 of this talent. Each time you learn/increase tier in one of your second additional profession's talents you must pay extra XP to the amount of buying tier 2 of this talent (6XP).
Tier 3: You can learn the talents of three (3) additional professions, including the ones from tier 1 and 2 of this talent. Each time you learn/increase tier in one of your third additional profession's talents you must pay extra XP to the amount of buying tier 3 of this talent (9XP).

Thoughts?

Monstertomten

Re: New talent for multi-classing

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 21:02

I think its a good house rule. Might use it when we start playing Bitter Reach.

Konungr

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 21:48

I allow players to learn other professions talents following the costs and rules for magic and doubling the costs for magic if they are not natively a magic profession.

I.E. it's more expensive in general and gets much more expensive if they don't have a teacher. Anyone can learn any talent if they want to invest the time and resources.

Rymdhamster

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 22:06

You could just remove the limitations of class all together. Make all talents "common", and let the player just choose which is their prefered abilitiy. Give all a base sum of silver to spend on equipment instead.

Let everyone compose their own class =)

Eldhierta
Topic Author

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 22:51

You could just remove the limitations of class all together. Make all talents "common", and let the player just choose which is their prefered abilitiy. Give all a base sum of silver to spend on equipment instead.

Let everyone compose their own class =)
Well, I don't want to break the wheel, just add connections between the spokes =D I mean, I like the professions, but I think it should be possible to branch into other professions at an increased cost.

Mr Oldtimer

Sat 11 Jul 2020, 23:35

Just a heads up. This was discussed a year ago in this thread.... viewtopic.php?f=79&t=4837

Eldhierta
Topic Author

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 08:40

Just a heads up. This was discussed a year ago in this thread.... viewtopic.php?f=79&t=4837
Damnit... didn't turn up in my search through the forum for some reason. Still, not the same approach really.

EinBein

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 23:20

I told my players that they are allowed to pick other professions‘ talents, if they invested into related skills/general talents first. So when a fighter develops survival, learns ranged weapons and trains general talents of that branch, I let him learn Hunter talents as a next step without any further ado. This is just my way to let the natural progression of the character, narratively and mechanically, result in even more options.

Rymdhamster

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 23:40

I told my players that they are allowed to pick other professions‘ talents, if they invested into related skills/general talents first. So when a fighter develops survival, learns ranged weapons and trains general talents of that branch, I let him learn Hunter talents as a next step without any further ado. This is just my way to let the natural progression of the character, narratively and mechanically, result in even more options.
I really like that way!