gru
Topic Author

Re: Foraging for water

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 04:45

Thanks!

jasonwocky

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 17:35

The idea with with the resource system is that every character has one die of each consumable. The main reason is that you hardly ever needs more than that. Four steps (d12) of Food/Water will last 11 days on the average.
Wow yeah no offense to anyone who plays games RAW, it's my default preference in general, but yeah I'm nerfing that. 11 days worth of adventurers water would weigh like 100lbs, especially in summer. Getting ready to start up a miniseries campaign before diving in deep, but the survival aspects of FL are what most appeals to me about the system. I'm probably gonna cap Water at D8. I understand that will impact talent and action economy and the like so I'll have to see what kind of damage that does, but if as you say your players haven't foraged for water in ~30 sessions I feel like I'm not at that much risk for breaking things too terribly.

Rymdhamster

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 17:52

Wow yeah no offense to anyone who plays games RAW, it's my default preference in general, but yeah I'm nerfing that. 11 days worth of adventurers water would weigh like 100lbs, especially in summer. Getting ready to start up a miniseries campaign before diving in deep, but the survival aspects of FL are what most appeals to me about the system. I'm probably gonna cap Water at D8. I understand that will impact talent and action economy and the like so I'll have to see what kind of damage that does, but if as you say your players haven't foraged for water in ~30 sessions I feel like I'm not at that much risk for breaking things too terribly.
I wonder if it might be an unplaned leftover from the alpha, where water and food was required to be able to heal damage, rather than just resting. We played for that for a long while, and that sure eats up (pun intended) the resources pretty fast.

If I wanted to run a game with focus on resource management and survival, I'd probably consider removing the resource dice all together, and keep track of actual days worth of food and water instead.

Fenhorn

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 18:05

We in our group aren't running the game as a surviving game so we aren't bother with water that last for a very long time. On the other hand, maybe that's the reason we don't run it as a survival game.

One solution would be to have Food steps weigh ½ item each. This means that a full waterskin will count as heavy (or as 2 items if you will). With weapons, armour, arrows, torches and whatnot, weight is usually a problem in the game, so this increase in weight could perhaps be enough.

Or if you want more weight to food/water steps without capping the dice, you can let each step double the weight. Let one step weigh ½, two steps weigh 1, three steps weigh 2 and four steps weigh 4.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Eldhierta

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 18:37

My thinking about the resources is something of an abstraction. It's not just what you are carrying in your pack, it's what you stumble upon along the way as well. So a D12 water isn't just the water in your pack, it also means that you refill "offscreen" while passing rivers, lakes etc. Same thing with food, you pick up some berries here, some mushrooms there, supplementing your rations. When you roll 1-2 on your resource die that shows that pickings were slim or that you were lazy, just relying on the food/water in your pack. If that helps justifying the seemingly abnormal amount of food/water the D12 represents.

Ebrim

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 19:49

Yeah, I would certainly recommend requiring water resource checks more than the bare minimum of once per day to keep them relevant. A totally healthy person who isn't doing anything special can probably get by on a single resource roll per day. But if that person is hurt, recovering, has participated in strenuous activity, etc. have more rolls. The rules say "a minimum of once per day" not a maximum.

I would have this particularly with water, if it's hot, if they end up in a fight or having to really push themselves, up their water consumption. If they're hurt, take a page from MYZ, have them roll against food an extra time as they rest.
Catch me on Three Skulls Tavern: YouTube or Twitch, an instructional AP dedicated to Year Zero games. Currently playing in a Raven’s Purge campaign and GM’ing a campaign of Vaesen.

Fenhorn

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 20:11

If you really going for a survival game, you can use the MYZ healing system:

MYZ recovery system converted to FbL
* A Quarter Day of rest.
* A resource depending on the type of trauma.

Resource
* Strength: A ration of food per point of Strength to be restored.
* Agility: A ration of water per point of Agility to be restored.
* Wits: At least a Quarter Day of sleep. Restores all lost Wits.
* Empathy. A moment of closeness with another kin. Restores all lost Empathy.

The resources needed for recovery come on top of your daily needs of food, water and sleep.

This would mean that it will really cost you food and water to take Strength or Agility damage. It will take time to heal Wits since you technically need to sleep twice. To heal Empathy might look easy but to find the time to just be close and talk with another kin can be tricky since everybody usually do something all the time and if you are out hiking, finding that time can be even harder.
“Thanks for noticin' me.” - Eeyore

Rymdhamster

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 20:29

Though if you have problems with the vast quantities of food a FL-character can lugg around, you'll probably have issues wioth how much food a M:Y0 character can eat in a single sitting =D

gru
Topic Author

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 20:36

@Ebrim: This is a cool idea, I will try to inject more water drinking events based on the story. Thanks!

Konungr

Sun 12 Jul 2020, 23:37

I think its important to remember that a roll of the resource die is a RATION of water/food. This osnt 3 meals a day with plenty to drink. This is enough to stay alive. Thats it. You are not drinking liters a day for 11 days. You are getting 2 maybe 3 mouthfuls of water a day for 11 days.